• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Advice on Amiga choice and upgrading?

Note that there is also the '500+' model. This is a later Amiga 500, which came with 1MB of memory, so you don't need a trapdoor expansion anymore. These came with Kickstart 2.0 though, so you still might want to get a Kickstart 1.3 chip (using the software solution would work as well, I used that on my Amiga 600 for a while, since most games that aren't compatible with 2.0 are old games, which work with 512k. But there may be some that need 1MB anyway, so you may want to have a memory expansion anyway, if you don't have a Kickstart+switcher).

One thing that the Amiga 600/1200 may have going for them is that they have a built-in RF modulator, which also supplies colour composite. Amiga 500 only has mono composite out, and requires an external A520 RF modulator which plugs into the RGB videoport to supply colour composite and RF signals, to plug into any standard TV: http://www.bigbookofamigahardware.com/bboah/product.aspx?id=725

I do have to say I'm surprised at how well NetSurf works on my A4000T, considering (but it has 3.9, 128MB of RAM and an '060).

They must have improved it. The version I have which is probably a few years old now, is totally unusable. I'll have to try the latest one. Thanks!

How the heck do you run it?

Ok Nevermind, I found the installer icon was corrupt.

It's installing now for the fourth time. It says it needs 8Mb of disk space, but wouldn't fit in 20 or 100Mb of space. :mad:

Last edited:
Back