• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Advice on what machine to look for next

Lutiana

Administrator
Staff member
So I have a completely working IBM 5160, a SBPC 386SX and a Generic 486 machine. So I am looking for a new project.

So here is my question, what machine would you recommend that I get? I am hoping something that falls in the 286 era of things, maybe a true blue IBM.

So suggest away.

With that kind of setup I'd go for something off-beat like a Commodore 64 or a Tandy 1000 series (if you wanted to stay in the x86 family).. If you're into Mac at all (or maybe even if not) try to get a Mac 68k machine up and running (I'd be glad to sell ya one! :D).

You also should have a Pentium box - do yourself a favor and get a nice one all set up before they become as rare as a 386 is getting to be now. I can also help you there if you need parts or whatever.

You could also get some portables. I went this route and have two portable 8088s (one laptop one luggable), a luggable 486, and I'm working on finding a Pentium laptop (I have one but I don't like it... it does have a ZIP250 module though, so if nothing else it's nice for transfers.. maybe I'll sell it...). They provide more of a challenge because of the limited expansion options, so they can be more fun, or more frustrating, depending on your luck. I've had a bit of both - lol.

After I get a Pentium laptop for some nice DOS gaming more portably than my luggables, I'm going to hunt down a 5160 or XT 286..

So I have a completely working IBM 5160, a SBPC 386SX and a Generic 486 machine. So I am looking for a new project.

So here is my question, what machine would you recommend that I get? I am hoping something that falls in the 286 era of things, maybe a true blue IBM.

So suggest away.

Do you want to stick with Intel machines? A PS/2 model is one that comes to mind...how about a cute little PS/2 Model 30-286?

Or, as Raven says, branch out and check out the Mac world of late-80's/early 90's computing. Then there is the wonderful world of the late 70's/early 80's where every machine was different. For me, this is where vintage computing is most interesting.

Tez

Well, I do have some Beige G3 units, an iMac and a Celeron 300 (great Win9x machine that I used for a router for a while), plus a bunch of other things that I have not looked at for a while (mostly 1ghz or higher).

I was thinking one of the PS/2 machines from IBM, just not too sure which one. I like the idea of trying to find a 5162. I'd like to stay PC, since I have a ton of software for it (every DOS version, every Windows version etc).

Like Tez said a Model 30-286 is a nice little machine and even lets you stick with the ISA bus. I also like the Model 50z. Another good machine. I have 2 of them and might consider letting one go to include a RAM card and extra RAM. And last but not leaset the 5170 big and bulky but built like a tank. Don't have one myself but wouldn't mind getting one. There's plenty out there just see what fits your fancy. This all my 2 cents worth. Have fun looking.

I have a Model 25 w/ 8-bit ISA if you're interested - it's one of those all-in-one jobbers and I'd like to sell it.

Yes, get a model 25. They're a nice change in format from what you've got. Either that or pick up the Compaq portable being offered here now.

Raven's other suggestion of getting a Pentium while the getting is good, is also a brilliant idea. Whenever I see people talking about IBM model 30s, I cringe because not long ago I used to throw those out because I found them annoyingly un-compatible with the rest of the world. I still think they're annoying, but really wished I'd saved one. I'm not going to let the same thing happen with early Pentiums.

Like Tez said a Model 30-286 is a nice little machine and even lets you stick with the ISA bus. I also like the Model 50z. Another good machine. I have 2 of them and might consider letting one go to include a RAM card and extra RAM. And last but not leaset the 5170 big and bulky but built like a tank. Don't have one myself but wouldn't mind getting one. There's plenty out there just see what fits your fancy. This all my 2 cents worth. Have fun looking.

How do the Model 30 and 5170 compare? They seem very similar from the brief research I did.

How do the Model 30 and 5170 compare? They seem very similar from the brief research I did.

I have both a 5170 and PS/2 30-286. Although they both have a 286 CPU they are quite different machines. The AT is slower and...

AT - weighs a TON and a large box! PS/2 30-286 - Small, low profile (Pizza box) and light
AT - 1.2 inch Floppy, PS/2 30-286 - 3.5 inch floppy (non-standard connector)
AT - Graphics card, disk controller, comms and printer all run from ISA cards. PS/2 30-286 - All on the motherboard (VGA graphics standard)
AT - no specific mouse port and large DIN keyboard connector, PS/2 30-286 - PS/2 mouse port and PS/2 keyboard connector
AT - 8 ISA slots, PS/2 30-286 has 3 ISA slots (but the AT usually had to have at least 3 filled anyway)
AT - DIP chips for RAM, PS/2 30-286 - 4 x 30 Pin SIMMS

There are a number of other differences too of course. Expected, as the PS/2 30-286 was released a 3-4 years later than the 5170.

Tez

Last edited:
Back