• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

All (detectable) IBM-branded cards that'll work in an XT.

per

Veteran Member
I recently went through all of the modules on the advanced diagnostic disk (Version 2.20) for the PC/XT, and recorded all the different cards/devices it would detect. By this, I guess I've made a list of all IBM-branded card with XT support, as I would expect IBM to add diagnostics routines for all their cards (this diagnostic disk is from 1987, and problably the last one for the XT).

There are of course some cards that are pointless to make diagnostic modules for. I only know about two, and those two are 1; The Prototype card, and 2; The NMI card from the professional debug facility (the only thing this card does is to bring two lines of the ISA-bus together in a pushbutton). There is also some non-card devices in the list, but just ignore therse.

There are also some interesting ones listed. Have you ever heard about the IBM 2MB Expanded Memory Adapter (EMS board), the IBM Data Aquisition Adapter, or the IBM GPIB Adapter?

I came up with a list, and I am attaching this list to this post.

Attachments

• AdvDiag.txt
    8.3 KB · Views: 5
There are of course some cards that are pointless to make diagnostic modules for. I only know about two, and those two are 1; The Prototype card, and 2; The NMI card from the professional debug facility (the only thing this card does is to bring two lines of the ISA-bus together in a pushbutton).
Wasn't there also the reset card? Or was it the same as the NMI one?

Wasn't there also the reset card? Or was it the same as the NMI one?

The NMI card can be used as a reset card, if you write a custom NMI handler for it (you also have to add routines for handling Pairity errors, and eventually a routine for handeling the interrupts from the 8087).

Besides this, I don't know of any way to reset the XT, except by shorting VCC and GND together and cause the powersupply to cut the power.

Per,

I have the IBM data acquisition adapter (DACA) in my XT. For reference, here is a link to more info on/for it: http://www.angelfire.com/space/mark_w/ . It looks like it was made for IBM by Real Time Devices of State College, PA.

At one time (1992) I saw the true blue GPIB adapter and ISTR it looked like it was made for IBM by National Instruments (like a PC-GPIB). I was a controls engineer at one time, so I still have an interest in DAQ hardware.

Lou

Last edited:
Per,

I have the IBM data acquisition adapter (DACA) in my XT. For reference, here is a link to more info on/for it: http://www.angelfire.com/space/mark_w/ . It looks like it was made for IBM by Real Time Devices of State College, PA.

At one time (1992) I saw the true blue GPIB adapter and ISTR it looked like it was made for IBM by National Instruments (like a PC-GPIB). I was a controls engineer at one time, so I still have an interest in DAQ hardware.

Lou
Lou, you didn't by chance archive any of this documentation/software for the IBM PC Acquisition and Control Adapter? I found this angelfire website by Mark W a couple days ago before finding your post here. The links are all dead and I can't find the programming support manual or software anywhere else on the internet. I have this board and the interfacing module and would like to develop a program for it. I'd appreciate any info you could give me for this card. It's easy enough to find the hardware reference manual for it in numerous places. But not the programming support manual or software. :(

TH99 gives the modem as 6487084, but this list calls it 6164805.

VCOM is very different--used for text-to-speech applications.
Chuck, I noticed your were in this old thread where Lou pasted a link to the IBM PC Acquisition and Control Adapter documentation/software. You didn't by any chance archive any of that did you? The anglefire link still works but once you get there all the links in it are dead. I can easily find the reference manual for this thing, but not the programming support manual or software. If you have any of it or know where I can find it, please let me know. Thanks!

Yes he has the hardware reference manual for it, not the programing support manual or software. I always check.-0 first 😉. I am afraid this programming support manual and software for the DACA may be lost. 🥲. I emailed a couple computer museum to see if they had something. Someone out there hopefully archive it somewhere.

Back