• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

almost done scrapping vintage PCs @ recycling centers, anyone want?

rmay635703

Veteran Member
I have scrapped most of my vintage stuff but still have a bunch of NEC 3d,4d, etc bnc, svga, MAC multisync screens, an HP LJ5 an Old Radio Shak model 4 (that needs some sram replaced), a tandem XT casing, an old full at case and the related IBM branded 5170 motherboard along with a pair of HDs (that did work) and the control card, some old NCR Intel 8085 based 64kb smart terminals and a bunch of random crapola, Gateway/Dell 486's, a few 286 & 386 machines. Mac plus and a lone Apple IIGS. I have scrapped most of my cards but still seem to have IDE, Floppy, mda and some kaypro planer stuff.

I will continue slowly scrapping (I get paid by the lb for circuit boards, hds and metal now) unless somebody wants something specific, catch is you need to be able to have me drop it off. I travel between oshkosh and Wausau wisconsin moderately often and have no interest in shipping unless I get some type of offer I can't refuse, I also have vintage IBM 5150/5160 & cga/ega/mda screens but plan on keeping those.

Cheers
Ryan

Out of curiosity of the dark side and competition what does that make the value of some of those systems for scrappers? (i.e. what's the price to beat on certain models from your experience?)

I BOUGHT a whole 386 computer from the local recyclers for $10. It was a smaller system so a heavier unit could have been $20, but that's my purchase price. If I sold it to them I would've gotten a little more than half of those prices, more if I take the time to split the system apart.

Generally scrappers pay $3-5 for a complete system (meaning ram, cpu, motherboard, hard drive, power supply in the case), but since gold is dropping like a rock prices will drop lower.

Sounds lilke he'd have been better off monetarily liquidating the systems/motherboards on eBay. So what if you only got $100 for a 5170? That's about $85 more than a scrapper would've given, and you could always just drop it at a UPS store for shipping.

This forum is for people devoted to saving computers. It's considered heresy to scrap computers unless they are beyond repair or restoration.
It is also about educating others that old computers are worth saving, and about what is worth something and what is not.

Unfortunately that also means truly vintage computers need to be worth more in money to collectors than scrappers.

It is also about educating others that old computers are worth saving, and about what is worth something and what is not.

Unfortunately that also means truly vintage computers need to be worth more in money to collectors than scrappers.
...and they generally are, if they've any type of historical significance, or sentimental significance. Unfortunately, most don't even do a rudimentary picture and list items... they just dive right in looking to see if there's any gold on the ICs or PCBs, never stopping to ask if what they're pulling apart has worth more than the scrap value.

My rule of thumb: printers are essentially worthless. Computers < 50lbs are usually pretty easy sales, especially if they're in working condition. Computers > 50lbs aren't always easy sales - but can be worth $$ to the right individual (i.e. may take a few relists)

Im unsure how to take this thread. I am sad to hear that the items were just scrapped without a care before posting to make sure. But at the same time, I understand scrap value sometimes is more so than the value of the market. I would hope he would post pictures or something of what can be picked up or purchased. It would be helpful to those who want something specific, or just forum lurkers who hate posting :p

Just my two cents:

I did post a for you guys/gals that wanted vintage memory over the week.
Not one response.
So to have a post like this and read the reviews, I sense that the "collector", here consider what I have to sell, before my wife puts it in the dumpster her self.

She told me I can't build my supercomputer until I get rid of some of my stuff. So I said ok, I'll start with the memory and work my way thru it all until I get enough money to buy the stuff I need to build new.
just a thought.
She got a point.
I have two socket 939's running right now; one upstairs in bedroom and one in the basement.gaming lan party 939.JPG I play my TM Nations game on.
The computer I'm typing on now, P4 with just 256MB ram , use mostly to the internet, run my web server on it or download files.

As a CNC programmer I use two all day long, one main computer and my laptop;"paid $4.77 for it,long story", at one of my 7 CNC mills.

mother boards total I want to get rid of:

motherboards.JPG

I think it's often that people don't want to go through the trouble of taking pictures and turning things on to see if they work. It's not that they wouldn't get more money selling to a collector. It's that the opportunity cost of doing so is more than the price difference. I mean, we can be pretty picky about our stuff. Taking pictures and answering questions takes effort.

Sadly, if you are liquidating or reducing you collection, you have to subtract from the intrinsic value of your items two factors:

1. The value to yourself of the hours it would take to catalog, advertise, wait, negotiate, pack, ship....
2. The extra cost to potential buyers of freight from you to them.

It's one thing if you are in New Jersey or California, but quite another if you are in Wisconsin or, say, Australia.

I'm wondering whether my own collection will have any liquidation value at all, considering those two factors...

I credit the OP for at leasting posting here to give us a chance, when every day other fading collectors, or their heirs, are just silently scrapping the whole lot.

Rick

I think it's often that people don't want to go through the trouble of taking pictures and turning things on to see if they work.

Think about what you just said.

* There are a lot of people that will take pictures and post them on their Facebook page and won't consider that as work.
* Doesn't take much effort to turn a computer or monitor on to see if it works.
* An item can be dropped off at a UPS Store for professional packaging and shipping just as easily as taking it to a scrapper.

J
I did post a for you guys/gals that wanted vintage memory over the week.
Not one response.

Just saying they are 72 pin memory doesn't let us know it is something we can use. I have bought memory sticks from reputable dealers that didn't work in the machine they said it would. Probably the reason for no responses.

Jmother boards total I want to get rid of:

View attachment 13993

You should get several bites on those boards if you posted the model numbers. Unless they are Pentium or newer, boards are usually snapped up by members here.

Don't really want to get into a pissin contest with anyone.
Ok so we are getting someware, Boards older than Pentium are a start.
and components that fit them.
ISA stuff:
how about a
3COM EatherLink III 1999 ISA card?
ISA card with a SMC UltraChip 83C790Qf P it's a LAN card i think.
SRS 3-d stereo ISA AZTECH AT6800W modem game port sound card.

30 pin memory or maybe slower 72 pin memory:
ya I got some 30pin memory, not partin with it yet at least some of the 72pins go first.
rare stuff:
OK I do have the 486DX motherboard, thats going.
It has chip on it and yes I will fire it up, memory for it.
I rely hate throwing the stuff out.
most of the boards in photo are socket 7's , socket 370's , and socket A. Both of my 939's are also going, as for the P4 one I'm using now.
I will just put them on ebay if I must.
As for the first poster I wish you the best, Please consider pulling the easy stuff out of them before you send them to scrap.
Got to go check back in AM.

Ok so I'ts my am , up now , dogs done pissing, and phone is chargin,
Smokin my fist cup of coffee, and drinkin my first rolled smoke.
I read while the coffee was bruing the comments again above.
Glasses on , so where to start,
Since you all share the summation that this stuff worth more money than scrap then.
And the errort to sell the stuff should be as satifining as working or playing my game, or doing other stuff.
While I could just thro it in the trash and go party.
I will attempt to fire up the 486.
this is gonna be good.
I have a pci vid card , but the since the pci slots are in the center of the motherboard, IDK.
I got a NMB Keyboard with the big plug , lol . designed for windows 95. I got all the software disks with the number sticker on it, maybe I can get that to work on it, for starting I will boot to dos If I can.
more later.

Power supply is in the mess, need two white plugs

I think people are looking for Pentium 1 boards now, especially the HX chipset ones that can cache more then 64MB of RAM.

well I got to the point of fireing the 486dx up, I did not know the PCI slot was not a PCI slot it is shorter, Just for a sec I thought of filing off the end of the card to make it fit.
That ant gonna happen.
So I looked on ebay for the cheepest vid card to use, Found one that will work for $10 bucks.
That ant gonna happen, I not spending ten more on something that most likely end up in the trash.
because I can't confirm the board works, Catch 22.
so I'm back to sq one.
the other boards on the photo are: gonna have their own threads.

Back