• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Alphatronic P2 restoration

powerlot

Experienced Member
Hi all

I came across an Alphatronic P2 and thought it would be interesting to have a CP/M machine in my collection. Does anyone have any experience with these?

There's a potentially explosive line filter inside and I ordered a replacement to entirely bypass it (mouser no. 631-FN2010-1/06), before even trying to find out what happens when I apply power to it.

p2-line-filter-1.jpg

While waiting for the part to arrive I thought I'd try to get the PSU going. I haven't found schematics yet, but the idea was to remove all modules from the backplane (it looks like this: https://adangel.org/2022/09/25/alphatronic-memory-mapping/) and bring it up slowly on a variac to let the capacitors reform. What do you think? Or should I just replace the capacitors...? Visually everything looks fine:

p2-psu-1.jpg p2-psu-2.jpg p2-psu-3.jpg

Thanks for your input

Hello!

I own two.

This is a very common failure (I may even say it is universal). That small filter board always decides to commit seppuku if connected to the power supply again. However it is not critical for the operation of the computer.

You have found some references, though they are helpful it is not the most complete. You should examine this one:
wiertalla.de (at archive.org)

There are some schematics in there as well the manuals and the CP/M you need.

The site belonged to Helmut Wiertalla, one of the developers of the firmware in the SKS-KISS computer which became through license into the Alphatronic Px and the HELL-DS lines of computers. Unfortunately, he passed away a year ago and, if he was still alive I would have directed you to him. Still, the community he helped to create can be found at VzEkC e. V. forums.

If you were to bring it up again, the very first thing you must do is to check that capacitors in the logic boards are in good state. To do this you have to check continuity between pins A1/B1 and A2/B2/A4/B4/A6/B6 in order to find faulty capacitors in the +5V power supply line; A3/B3 and A2/B2/A4/B4/A6/B6 to check the +12V line and finally A5/B5 and A2/B2/A4/B4/A6/B6 to verify the -12V supply. If you hear the tester you have to service that particular board. Through experience, I found the most problematic are the DRAM and video boards with the +12V tantalum capacitors.

On another way, if you check the power supply and don't know how to repair it I can help you to adapt the computer to house an ATX supply.

Now, it is my turn to make questions:
What is the region of this computer? Is it from within Germany? Is it an export model?
What model do you have? Certainly you don't have a P2E, otherwise you would have the near-SBC computer. Is it a standard P2 or is it a P2U?

In any case, I hope you enjoy yours as I enjoyed mines - they opened me to a new chapter in my life.

@RetroAND

Thanks for your fine words.

If course the best will be to get in contact with the VzEkC forum. I by myself have just some TA P2 floppy disks I have to image.

Here is some about ta-p2 https://forum.classic-computing.de/...2908-alphatronic-p2/&postID=169773#post169773
Hello @fritzeflink,

I am also there, under another alias. I have seen many people from there in this forum.;)

I agree with you consulting VzEkC is the way to go due to expertise in this system. However, I would like to ask @powerlot to continue with this thread even if he receives help from there.
My reason behind this request is this particular site has its own share of international users and owners of ancient systems. And most export models of the Px series still to be found. This way, by just talking about it chances are higher someone identifies one. By being identified, it would be more difficult for it to be cannibalized for parts. And who knows, maybe the chance to obtain the manual in another language than Deutsch or Italian...

@powerlot Yesterday I forgot to tell you something very useful. As the monitor memory is static RAM in the CPU card and the display SRAM is in the CRTC card, you can remove safely from the backplane the DRAM and the FDD controller in a minimal configuration of three boards.

Have a good day!

This is a very common failure (I may even say it is universal). That small filter board always decides to commit seppuku if connected to the power supply again. However it is not critical for the operation of the computer.

You have found some references, though they are helpful it is not the most complete. You should examine this one:
wiertalla.de (at archive.org)

There are some schematics in there as well the manuals and the CP/M you need.
Thanks for the resource, it seems to be extensive
If you were to bring it up again, the very first thing you must do is to check that capacitors in the logic boards are in good state. To do this you have to check continuity between pins A1/B1 and A2/B2/A4/B4/A6/B6 in order to find faulty capacitors in the +5V power supply line; A3/B3 and A2/B2/A4/B4/A6/B6 to check the +12V line and finally A5/B5 and A2/B2/A4/B4/A6/B6 to verify the -12V supply. If you hear the tester you have to service that particular board. Through experience, I found the most problematic are the DRAM and video boards with the +12V tantalum capacitors.
I checked the cards, they're all fine
On another way, if you check the power supply and don't know how to repair it I can help you to adapt the computer to house an ATX supply.
I brought the PSU up slowly and then ran a broken hard drive as load for few minutes. It appears to work well, no issues here. I also replaced the line filter as it arrived today.

Now, it is my turn to make questions:
What is the region of this computer? Is it from within Germany? Is it an export model?
What model do you have? Certainly you don't have a P2E, otherwise you would have the near-SBC computer. Is it a standard P2 or is it a P2U?

In any case, I hope you enjoy yours as I enjoyed mines - they opened me to a new chapter in my life.

I've got a CA/P2 A5, I guess it's the regular German version. It has two floppy drives, but only one RAM card. If you want I can dump the ROMs.

@RetroAND

Thanks for your fine words.

If course the best will be to get in contact with the VzEkC forum. I by myself have just some TA P2 floppy disks I have to image.

Here is some about ta-p2 https://forum.classic-computing.de/...2908-alphatronic-p2/&postID=169773#post169773
I'll go through that later, I'll probably need the disk images soon

Hello @fritzeflink,

I am also there, under another alias. I have seen many people from there in this forum.;)

I agree with you consulting VzEkC is the way to go due to expertise in this system. However, I would like to ask @powerlot to continue with this thread even if he receives help from there.
My reason behind this request is this particular site has its own share of international users and owners of ancient systems. And most export models of the Px series still to be found. This way, by just talking about it chances are higher someone identifies one. By being identified, it would be more difficult for it to be cannibalized for parts. And who knows, maybe the chance to obtain the manual in another language than Deutsch or Italian...

@powerlot Yesterday I forgot to tell you something very useful. As the monitor memory is static RAM in the CPU card and the display SRAM is in the CRTC card, you can remove safely from the backplane the DRAM and the FDD controller in a minimal configuration of three boards.

Have a good day!
I inserted the cards starting from the suggested minimum setup to the full complement of cards.

Is it normal that having the floppy card inserted prolongs boot time and makes the machine monitor behave weirdly? With the FDC card in the motors spin all the time and pressing the (C) key just temporarily halts said motors. I found a bent pin but it didn't change anything.

Otherwise everything seems to work well. Is this normal behaviour and does it want a system disk? Anything else to get as disks? Interesting games or programs?.

Thanks again for your help, it seems to be an interesting system. Additionally, the case seems to be *really* brittle. I already broke two holding tabs. I hope it holds up to future use.

Attachments

• p2-system-3.jpg
    p2-system-3.jpg
    890.3 KB · Views: 7
  • p2-system-2.jpg
    p2-system-2.jpg
    725.5 KB · Views: 7
  • p2-system-1.jpg
    p2-system-1.jpg
    462.9 KB · Views: 8
  • p2-line-filter-3.jpg
    p2-line-filter-3.jpg
    340 KB · Views: 7
Thanks for the resource, it seems to be extensive
Of course it is! After all he was one of the fathers of the creature... ;)

I brought the PSU up slowly and then ran a broken hard drive as load for few minutes. It appears to work well, no issues here. I also replaced the line filter as it arrived today.
Perfect! It is very common to have faulty power supplies at this point so consider yourself lucky.

I've got a CA/P2 A5, I guess it's the regular German version. It has two floppy drives, but only one RAM card. If you want I can dump the ROMs.
Don't worry for the dumps. Was it some localized version of the system (other than Deutsch, Spanish or Italian) I would have insisted. Being from Germany, dumps were done time ago. However you may want to check later if all of your three system ROMs are fine - you can do it without even touching the memories. All you require is a null-modem cable to transmit data to a PC and introduce the hex listing by hand using MOS ("Micro Operating System", the system monitor).

I'll go through that later, I'll probably need the disk images soon
You will. In case you have to format a disk you can do it using the same procedure as with the dumps, just in the opposite way: the MOS has to be used to introduce a small program, which loads the formatting program in the computer memory. After a warm reset (by using the reset key from the keyboard) you have to execute the program and format the disc. Finally, another small program has to be introduced manually to read the serial port and write the obtained bytes to the floppy drive. This the most usual way a new P2 user obtains his first CP/M disc for this computer.

Is it normal that having the floppy card inserted prolongs boot time and makes the machine monitor behave weirdly? With the FDC card in the motors spin all the time and pressing the (C) key just temporarily halts said motors. I found a bent pin but it didn't change anything.
Normal, no. Factible, yes.

To be fair, I haven't had this particular issue with the floppy drive control unit - basically because the unit I use the most is an Italian P2 I removed this board to gain some space to access the backplane, as I used to prototype hardware for this system. However, I have experienced the same symptoms when trying to develop a memory expansion for it - basically messing with the control bus signals. As the CRTC 5023/5037 is software-configurable if corrupt data is introduced in the data bus while the 8085 writes its registers post-reset basically may lose sync and have weird screen configurations (regarding number of columns, rows, etc.).

The reset system is a simple RC + diode circuit in the keyboard controller board, but that adds up to an open collector line that serves as the CPU RESET IN signal. You may find the floppy drive controller schematics in Helmut's site and check what control signals it uses. Have in mind that in the 96-pin connectors rows A and B are public, shared among all the boards while row C is private to each board to send a specific control signal to another board, for the serial and parallell port, etc. This may also happen when boards are not inserted in the proper order.

I don't know if those hints helped you...

Otherwise everything seems to work well. Is this normal behaviour and does it want a system disk? Anything else to get as disks? Interesting games or programs?.
Well, as far as I remember - because it has been a lot since I used them with drives - there is basic, there is pascal...and of course everything written for non-Z80 CP/M. Personally, I stick with the MOS because I am some sort of masochist who loves to hand-assemble and introduce the program nible per nible, byte per byte. 👽
While the electrical pinout per se is not standard outside the Px family of computers, the boards follow the Eurocard standard size. Therefore is esay to find prototyping boards in which to place the DIN-41612-96ABC connector and create a new board.

Regarding original software, have in mind this was not a home computer, but an office one. Therefore there may not be many games but utilities. Also consider that until its interest revival about two years before the pandemic the poor thing was near oblivion. Many things have been restored to our knowledge base, but the gap left by years of neglect reduced drastically the number of units and documentation, software, etc. I found my first one in a chicken coop/pig court/{insert the dirtiest animal you could even imagine here}.💩 My Spanish model had even been the summer residence of some mice (just like some CBM my father brought, but that seemed its primary place of residence). And considering that when I started with this and now there has been a huge improvement - we were only two at first, later four, then at 2018 I imagine Helmut got invited at VzEkC forum by other users who found him and from one day to another P2 systems started to appear under the pebbles... it was like a dream come true.

Thanks again for your help, it seems to be an interesting system. Additionally, the case seems to be *really* brittle. I already broke two holding tabs. I hope it holds up to future use.
Oh, yes. That's the nightmare that ends that beautiful dream... 😰
Their cases are extremely fragile. Don't be afraid if that think broke on you. I imagine that while they had a robust computer per se the ones from top didn't want to spend that much on the case - therefore is an inheritance prom the P1, which was just a white version of the orange-coloured SKS KISS.

I can't say anything else about this... just be careful, ok? As far as I know, there is no project to upgrade the case so unless someone decides to replicate it using modern techniques using 3D printers et all they are here to stay until they break down. At least the case was the only better thing a P3 had compared with a P2U...😎

EDIT: In relation with my Italian P2, yesterday it was used to test an IBM System/23 cpu that should-be 8085 and in fact was. Loved to see the MOS greeting screen that time. 😎

Last edited:
Of course it is! After all he was one of the fathers of the creature... ;)

Perfect! It is very common to have faulty power supplies at this point so consider yourself lucky.
Nice, happy to have a working one, though the PSU design doesn't seem too complicated.
Don't worry for the dumps. Was it some localized version of the system (other than Deutsch, Spanish or Italian) I would have insisted. Being from Germany, dumps were done time ago. However you may want to check later if all of your three system ROMs are fine - you can do it without even touching the memories. All you require is a null-modem cable to transmit data to a PC and introduce the hex listing by hand using MOS ("Micro Operating System", the system monitor).

You will. In case you have to format a disk you can do it using the same procedure as with the dumps, just in the opposite way: the MOS has to be used to introduce a small program, which loads the formatting program in the computer memory. After a warm reset (by using the reset key from the keyboard) you have to execute the program and format the disc. Finally, another small program has to be introduced manually to read the serial port and write the obtained bytes to the floppy drive. This the most usual way a new P2 user obtains his first CP/M disc for this computer.
Ok, I hope I can find a null modem cable somewhere in the hoard. Is it possible to image a disk with a Greaseweazle? According to https://web.archive.org/web/20211130135206/http://wiertalla.de/pdf/Booten_Alphatronic_P2_cpm.pdf it is :
- 40 tracks from numbered 0 to 39
- 16 sectors with 256 bytes numbered 1 to 16

Any info about the encoding? It would be great not having to deal with the serial cable.
Normal, no. Factible, yes.

To be fair, I haven't had this particular issue with the floppy drive control unit - basically because the unit I use the most is an Italian P2 I removed this board to gain some space to access the backplane, as I used to prototype hardware for this system. However, I have experienced the same symptoms when trying to develop a memory expansion for it - basically messing with the control bus signals. As the CRTC 5023/5037 is software-configurable if corrupt data is introduced in the data bus while the 8085 writes its registers post-reset basically may lose sync and have weird screen configurations (regarding number of columns, rows, etc.).

The reset system is a simple RC + diode circuit in the keyboard controller board, but that adds up to an open collector line that serves as the CPU RESET IN signal. You may find the floppy drive controller schematics in Helmut's site and check what control signals it uses. Have in mind that in the 96-pin connectors rows A and B are public, shared among all the boards while row C is private to each board to send a specific control signal to another board, for the serial and parallell port, etc. This may also happen when boards are not inserted in the proper order.

I don't know if those hints helped you...
I'll check the schematics and try to find if something is off.

Well, as far as I remember - because it has been a lot since I used them with drives - there is basic, there is pascal...and of course everything written for non-Z80 CP/M. Personally, I stick with the MOS because I am some sort of masochist who loves to hand-assemble and introduce the program nible per nible, byte per byte. 👽
While the electrical pinout per se is not standard outside the Px family of computers, the boards follow the Eurocard standard size. Therefore is esay to find prototyping boards in which to place the DIN-41612-96ABC connector and create a new board.

Ok, I'll try to start with a word processor. Prototyping hardware sounds interesting, do you know if anyone has done any cool projects?

Regarding original software, have in mind this was not a home computer, but an office one. Therefore there may not be many games but utilities. Also consider that until its interest revival about two years before the pandemic the poor thing was near oblivion. Many things have been restored to our knowledge base, but the gap left by years of neglect reduced drastically the number of units and documentation, software, etc. I found my first one in a chicken coop/pig court/{insert the dirtiest animal you could even imagine here}.💩 My Spanish model had even been the summer residence of some mice (just like some CBM my father brought, but that seemed its primary place of residence). And considering that when I started with this and now there has been a huge improvement - we were only two at first, later four, then at 2018 I imagine Helmut got invited at VzEkC forum by other users who found him and from one day to another P2 systems started to appear under the pebbles... it was like a dream come true.
I found a fine layer of oily soot on mine, so it looks like it was in some sort of industrial environment or machine shop, it cleaned up well (mostly, still some scrubbing to do)

Oh, yes. That's the nightmare that ends that beautiful dream... 😰
Their cases are extremely fragile. Don't be afraid if that think broke on you. I imagine that while they had a robust computer per se the ones from top didn't want to spend that much on the case - therefore is an inheritance prom the P1, which was just a white version of the orange-coloured SKS KISS.

I can't say anything else about this... just be careful, ok? As far as I know, there is no project to upgrade the case so unless someone decides to replicate it using modern techniques using 3D printers et all they are here to stay until they break down. At least the case was the only better thing a P3 had compared with a P2U...😎
Alright, I'll treat it with satin gloves :)

EDIT: In relation with my Italian P2, yesterday it was used to test an IBM System/23 cpu that should-be 8085 and in fact was. Loved to see the MOS greeting screen that time. 😎
Very cool, the System/23 is a beast in itself

I did a bit of testing.. the delay when the floppy is in seems to be normal or at least consistent? Maybe it tries to boot a disk and there's a timeout.

Found an untested serial cable but there are few keys not working: Space, i, F3 and #. Any tips on repairing the keyboard? Without the spacebar it's going to be hard to enter the bootstrap code (I assume that's what's meant by "BLANK" in the instructions).

I can't get the floppy drives to work either. It looks like the solenoids of the top pressure pad are not engaging. Otherwise it seeks and spins.

I figured out the floppy drive, it needs additional jumpers for working with a Greaseweazle (or any PC probably)

Alphatronic P2 default:
p2-floppy-1.jpg

Greaseweazle compatible settings (as drive 0, I can't test it but it said "all tracks verified" at the end):
p2-floppy-2.jpg

Meanwhile one of the tantalums on the floppy controller decided to crap itself :(

Alright, I temporarily repaired the floppy controller with a tantalum of different capacitance value and it's doing well.

I also managed to create a boot disk and it boots to CP/M. :)

That's how far I'm getting without the fully working keyboard. I see that the keyboard switches use hall effect sensors and are impossible to find nowadays ( see https://forum.classic-computing.de/...icht-so-tausche-ich-ein-element-aus-aber-wie/).

If anyone has a broken keyboard with those honeywell switches that I can cannibalize I'd be interested. Otherwise I'll sacrifice other unimportant keys.

EDIT: For the next person who isn't into masochism, here is the disk image and diskdevs.cfg:

disk alphatronic.p2.ssdd cyls = 40 heads = 1 tracks * ibm.mfm secs = 16 bps = 256 id = 1 end end

Attachments

• cpm2-2-48k-160kb.zip
    31.7 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
As I have some P2 floppydisks I can make images of them.
I don't know what the content is. Some are for P2 native, some are for booting CP/M I believe.

I can make images with Dave Dunfields' IMD if you are interested.

I did a bit of testing.. the delay when the floppy is in seems to be normal or at least consistent? Maybe it tries to boot a disk and there's a timeout.

Found an untested serial cable but there are few keys not working: Space, i, F3 and #. Any tips on repairing the keyboard? Without the spacebar it's going to be hard to enter the bootstrap code (I assume that's what's meant by "BLANK" in the instructions).

I can't get the floppy drives to work either. It looks like the solenoids of the top pressure pad are not engaging. Otherwise it seeks and spins.
Sorry for my late answer.

I saw Helmut had some document related to it, but you wou'd have to check.
My Italian also has a few ones dead, but in their case they miss their sensors...

In previous versions of the system (also in KISS) there was a small EPROM in the keyboard, which translated the scancodes. This was later replaced with a 74LS154 It could be perfectly a broken trace from the 154 or even this IC.

Otherwise, I would recommend to take them from the numpad.

I would like to ask you a favor. If was to experiment with my keyboard in order to restore the switches, would you like to help me?

Unfortunately, I cannot help you with the drives but I may try to provide the required documents you may need.

Sorry for my late answer.
No worries
I saw Helmut had some document related to it, but you wou'd have to check.
My Italian also has a few ones dead, but in their case they miss their sensors...

In previous versions of the system (also in KISS) there was a small EPROM in the keyboard, which translated the scancodes. This was later replaced with a 74LS154 It could be perfectly a broken trace from the 154 or even this IC.

Otherwise, I would recommend to take them from the numpad.

I would like to ask you a favor. If was to experiment with my keyboard in order to restore the switches, would you like to help me?
There is a 74LS154 but it was not logical for the circuitry to be broken since it was just few random keys not working and not a whole row, column or similar. I desoldered a good and a bad key and could verify that the sensor died (the magnet inside is still fine).
I'm currently looking into a way of adapting contemporary hall sensors to work with the keyboard. What do you have in mind with your keyboard? I think it's also somehow possible to replicate the existing logic and use modern keyswitches and ICs.
Unfortunately, I cannot help you with the drives but I may try to provide the required documents you may need.
I managed to format a floppy with the built-in BASF 6106 drives, they're completely fine. See post #9 for the settings the drive need in case they're not in Alphatronic system.
It appears that it's just the way MOS works. It keeps the motor spinning (which is kind of unnecessary and makes the PSU run hot) but only engages the heads when reading and writing. Kind of like the old 8" floppy drives.

Hi all

Some progress: I have swapped some good sensors over to the more important keys and cleaned the keyboard. Additionally, a friend helped me adapt a TLE4905 to work with the keyboard to replace the broken sensors. The only issue is that they register a keystore on reset and one has already become marginal due to physical stress of squeezing it in and applying repeated keystrokes, another one gets stuck when pressing down the key. It's a good start though I would say and it beats having a non working key or cannibalizing another keyboard :)

p2-system-4.jpg p2-system-5.jpg

Now I can start exploring the available disk images and try to get some software running

@fritzeflink I found your thread (https://forum.classic-computing.de/...ketten-formatbeschreibung-für-22disk-gesucht/) and downloaded the images.

No idea what 22disk is, I used a Greaseweazle to write the IMD files. Some crash during boot, some have Basic programs on it. I managed to run few, others don't run or are part of something else (I have no idea how to use them).

I couldn't run Larry's disks. After imaging, it lists the directory but doesn't execute any of it. They might be for double sided drives only. I still have to procure a Gotek for this...

Additionally, how do I run the .bin files ?

Hi...

22disk is from Sydex and Sydex ist Chuck(c) Guzis.

The answer from chuck to me as I asked:
>22Disk registration fee is $25; payable by Paypal; so include your physical and email address.
>Please forward your info to info@sydex.com and we'll get on it right away.

I found a pdf from the doc file included with 22disk. https://oldcomputers-ddns.org/public/pub/manuals/22disk_1.34.pdf
For use of 22disk you must have a PC with a floppy controller and best is one which can read SD (FM) format as a lot of old CP/M formats have the system tracks in single density.
I saw an interesting document there: https://oldcomputers-ddns.org/public/pub/manuals/disk-imaging-vcfe-2014.pdf

The Images for the TA P2 I made are for a P2 with 48k RAM and the CP/M doesn't begin at 100H I think.
If you have a 64K P2 the CP/M from my Images will not run.

This is the format for 22disk:

BEGIN P2UV Alphatronic P2 Vorderseite - 1x40x16x256 48tpi 5.25"
DENSITY MFM ,LOW
CYLINDERS 40 Sides 1 SECTORS 16,256
SIDE1 0 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16
BSH 3 BLM 7 EXM 0 DSM 151 DRM 63 AL0 0C0H AL1 0 OFS 2
END

>Additionally, how do I run the .bin files ?

As IMD made compressed images you can't look into them with a hex editor. With IMDU you can convert to raw images - I called them bin mostly they are called img as in the picture below.
For easy use with Msdos I have the Norton Commander and some user commands.

hc_3603.jpg

For IMD there is a nice pdf at https://oldcomputers-ddns.org/public/pub/manuals/imd.pdf

Hello
The Images for the TA P2 I made are for a P2 with 48k RAM and the CP/M doesn't begin at 100H I think.
If you have a 64K P2 the CP/M from my Images will not run.
Mine is a 48k RAM machine. Most of the images work. TAP2-01 crashed after showing the CP/M string, but TAP2-01A works perfectly and contains a BASIC interpreter. I could load the "games" on the image TAP2-12.
I don't think I need 22disk, the definitions for GW I wrote in post #10 work for me. I would be interested in building an additional RAM card, if schematics were available - or even other cards such as solid state mass storage, if this is even possible?

As IMD made compressed images you can't look into them with a hex editor. With IMDU you can convert to raw images - I called them bin mostly they are called img as in the picture below.
For easy use with Msdos I have the Norton Commander and some user commands.
Sorry, I was unclear, how do I run the .BIN files on the P2 file system, I assume they're machine code or native programs similar to the one I typed in manually or transferred via serial cable? E.g. P2HAUCH.BIN, YFORMP2.BIN

Back