• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Amiga 500 to 1000 question disk reading problem

k1atn

Experienced Member
i have an Amiga 500, but am having problems reading disks.

i have workbench 1.2 on it and some games and data disks run fine, like lemmings, but other disks i put in, game or not, the screen goes blank then it goes back to the workbench 1.2 screen and nothing happens. i tried to load workbench 1.3 and it just didn't read it. others go to Amiga dos like another Amiga OS 1.3 and workbench 1.3, but it won't install. i am VERY new to amigas so i am just stumped. most every disk i put in it, the computer tried to read the disk, the screen went blank, and then went back to the workbench 1.2 screen without doing anything??? the same thing happens with my Amiga 600, and 1000.

help would be appreciated as i am testing disks for someones estate and am having trouble

thanks

k1atn

This is common. Programs and/or disks on the newer 500 may not be compatible with the 1000. I wish I could help (I am not an expert), but I can tell you that I have found that disks and programs are system or workbench specific, and it's on a case by case basis.

Hi k1atn,

The Amiga Operating System consists of both hardware AND software. The hardware is the Kickstart chip that is inside the Amiga 500. The Amiga 1000 is the only Amiga that does not have a physical Kickstart chip. Instead, the Kickstart is loaded from a floppy disk, then the Workbench or any other game can be put into the system to boot.

Since you are having trouble with the A500, we need to know what version of Kickstart you have. If you have a hard drive for your Amiga 500, then you should turn off the computer then un-plug the hard drive. Next, turn on the computer without any disks in the drive. You will see a screen similar to the following:

wb_12knail.gif

In the example image above, you can see that the computer has Kickstart V1.2 in the computer. With Kickstart 1.2, you will be unable to load anything that requires a Kickstart above that, such as Workbench 1.3. The Kickstart chip can be replaced with a new chip all the way up to 3.1. Higher versions of Kickstart were fairly compatible with software written for older Kickstart chips, but not always. If you require a lower level Kickstart, you can either get a ROM switcher that will allow you to switch between multiple physical chips, or you can load an older version of Kickstart from a floppy drive.

Let us know which Kickstart you have in your Amiga 500. :)

Heather

my Amiga A500 has no hard drive installed, but when i boot it up it says

Amiga Work Bench V1.2 i am new to amigas but i am guessing that this is my kick start ROM???

Does it look like the picture I posted (Hand holding a floppy disk with V1.2 under it)? If so, then you have Kickstart version 1.2. Kickstart is your Amiga's firmware and Workbench is your operating system that is loaded from either a floppy disk or hard disk. If you have Kickstart 1.2, the maximum version of Amiga Workbench you can use is Workbench 1.2.

Heather

yes the picture looks exactly like that

can i put my not quite working amiga 600's kickstart 2.0 rom in my amiga a500

also i found my amiga 500 rom i think?? it doesnt say 1.2 it says

japan 8802ED

315093-01

i dont know if this is my kickstart rom or not???? if it is can i take out that chip and put my amiga 600 kickstart 2.0 rom in its place???

Last edited:
Yes, 315093-01 is the Amiga 500 Kickstart 1.2 chip. The first Google result for that chip number brings up a page with all the Amiga Chips & Part Numbers (http://www.l8r.net/technical/t-achips.shtml).

The A600 Kickstart *might* work in your A500, but I'm not certain. I believe the pin-out is the same so it probably wouldn't hurt to try, but that's a chance you might have to take if you want to try. Personally, I would suggest buying a Kickstart 3.1 ROM from AmigaKit (http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=157).

Here's a great Wiki article on the Amiga Kickstart ROMs: http://wiki.classicamiga.com/Kickstart_Roms_Explained

Good luck!

Heather

yeah i tried putting the 2.05 chip in the 500, and strted it up, it flashed light green, then settled on a reddish pink color, so i am guessing that it doesn't work :(
but maybe i will buy the 3.1, also my amiga 1000 boots up but i havent been able to load workbench or amiga os. it's screen says kickstart 1.2 with the same image as in one of your posts but instead of saying workbench 1.2 it says kickstart 1.2 any ideas??? because i thought the 1000 had no kickstart rom chip????

The Amiga 1000 does not have a Kickstart chip, but you still need Kickstart in order for the computer to load Workbench. To do this, there is a special Kickstart disk that you must put into the Amiga 1000 before you can load anything else on the A1000. Once Kickstart is loaded, you will see the same screen that you see on your Amiga 500.

If you don't have a Kickstart disk, you can create one using your Amiga 500.

Copy the ROM from your Amiga 500 using this utility:
http://aminet.net/package/util/misc/GrabKick

Create the Kickstart disk with the following program using the ROM you copied above:
http://aminet.net/package/util/misc/WriteKickDisk

Good luck!

Heather

Back