• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Amiga Corp in 1983?

VERAULT

Veteran Member
I was surprised to find this inscribed on a small pcb I was cleaning. When was Amiga Corp established and what things did they make prior to the release of the Original Amiga (1000) when they were acquired by Commodore?

IMG_20230825_122125.jpg

Anyway, the Amiga corporation (initially named "Hi-Toro") was founded entirely to develop "the thing that became the Amiga computer". (The original design concept was actually angling specifically for arcade/high-end game consoles and evolved into a computer as it developed.) The joystick you found was part of a short-lived line of video game accessories (cartridges, joysticks, etc) for Atari and Coleco game consoles that were thrown together to give the company a source of income to funnel into hardware development. Searching a database of 2600 games turns up a list of about a dozen game titles.

Just to close this out so folks can see what we are talking about I finished fixing up the joystick. Again I got this at the last VCF East for a few dollars. It like many joysticks was missing the ball. I found some small wooden balls from china and bought a few. Drilled them out, epoxy and paint and I think it looks ok. Alot better than without the ball I think. And I didnt notice but the connector had "amiga" on it in a very weird font. I added a coin next to it to show how small this thing is and you can see the hemispherical bottom as its meant to rest inside your palm.

IMG_20230826_160230.jpg
IMG_20230826_160240.jpg
IMG_20230826_160249.jpg

And lastly there are two spaces (top and bottom) for som emblem or sticker but all there was when I got it was dirty glue so I cleaned them out.

Neil from RMC briefly talks about Amiga as a joystick maker at about 1:01 in:

He mainly talks about the Amiga Joyboard, but if you google that, then you'll find a photo with the Joyboard with what appears to be your joystick attached. Looks like it's called The Power-Stick.

bd3a1970-399b-4401-bb19-b3ec1e9ef6dd.jpg

Last edited:
Neil from RMC briefly talks about Amiga as a joystick maker at about 1:01 in:

He mainly talks about the Amiga Joyboard, but if you google that, then you'll find a photo with the Joyboard with what appears to be your joystick attached.

View attachment 1263187
Thanks for the info. The power stick huh? I see that one is missing the ball too. Ill check out that video. I wonder if this joystick was sold by itself or part of this system?

So I watched the video. Did some searches for AMIGA 3100 joysticks and all the photos show no ball! I find that crazy. Its ugly and uncomfortable without the ball. Its like gripping something the size of a pencil eraser for a joystick...

A little late for me to chime in but, yeah, it never had a ball, that weird splined end that looks like the end of a driveshaft is what they all looked like from the factory.

It’s been 40 years so take this memory with a grain of salt, but I remember it being my favorite joystick for a while, ugly shaft and all, because it had a really short throw and positive action compared to the rubbery stock 2600 sticks… but it was murder on your hands for long play sessions. Both hands, because the rough little stub of a stick would chew up the base of your thumb (the shape of that thing encourages you to kind of just nestle it between your thumb and the side of your palm, and its small size eventually cramped up the hand you held it in.

Back