• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Ampex SP-300

lsi11al

I hope this isn't too far off topic but there has been a previous thread on digitizing NASA tapes so here goes. This recorder is 7-track and takes 1/2" tapes. I intend to use it to look at some NASA telemetry tapes. The problems are 2-fold. First I would really like to get hold of a manual (and even a schematic) for this recorder. Have done extensive googling without results. Secondly I don't have a power cord and the connector is unlike any I have seen (a picture is attached). Ultimately if I can't find a matching connector to make up a power cord I will revert to more crude methods of making the connection.

Thank you for any help!

Attachments

• 002a.jpg
    002a.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 1
Stanford University special collections holds the Ampex corporate archives.
If anyone has a manual, they would. There is an SP-300 training video from them at IA
https://archive.org/details/cst_00004
I picked up some Ampex instrumentation recorder docs from the family of an Ampex engineer
but I don't think I have anything on the SP series. What I have post-processed is on bitsavers
under test_equipment/Ampex

Yes, I have seen the video.

Unfortunately access to the Ampex archives at Stanford is closed during the Covid pandemic.

I'll just keep hoping someone out there has the manual and maybe information on the connector!!

Back