• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

An example of vintage computer parts selling for more than the complete item

snuci

Veteran Member
Before I remove these from my eBay watch list, this was sad to watch. Both of these SWTPC items sold on the same day. Both were full auctions with two different sellers.

This SWTPC CT-64 sold for $400 with one bidder.

eBay-swtpcct-64.jpg

The keyboard for the same SWTPC CT-64 sold for $860 with multiple bidders.
eBay-swtpckeyboard.jpg

I just shake my head over stuff like this. I understand some people collect keyboards which is a whole other topic but this makes no sense.

eBay is the most irrational market I've ever seen... and it's just sad that when I see these keyboards I can't shake the thought that some of those have been intentionally ripped from their systems (which were then most likely scrapped) and sold to these types of collector specifically :confused: ...seeing these prices only increases the motivation to do so - why deal with shipping the whole system when you can make more bucks selling the keyboard

There are lots of examples like this--and it isn't just keyboards. I've found that I can buy a surplus DLT tape drive, complete with power supply and SCSI connection hardware, much more cheaply than I can buy a full-height SCSI enclosure without power supply. Doesn't make any sense, but there you go...

Back