• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Another Overpriced Auction

Where did anyone mention a 5160?

33black:. . . A guy has been relisting an IBM XT with the monitor, keyboard, and the original boxes of software/books that came with it...it's in good condition, but he wanted $500 for like 2 months, then $450, now it's at $350. It's been relisted for like 4 or 5 months now.

I told him I'd give him $60 and come get it immediately. Seems like a really fair offer to me. I'm just going to get it running and probably play some old text games on it. haha...maybe try and do some assembly programming? I've never learned how.
And a couple of posts later.
33black: . . . I don't want a beater, I don't want a clone, I had that same one when i was 14 that I got for free from the school when they cleaned their stuff out.

And so on, until I thought he was the OP. Sorry, I didn't check that the names were different and the "real" OP was actually looking at something else and had not come back in.

I just tossed this one out originally because it seems the idea that all Apple computers are now worth stupid money because Steve Jobs passed away. Maybe we should all start stocking up on boxed copies of Windows because in the ebay world, when Bill Gates eventually dies, copies of Windows will be worth their weight in gold.

I just tossed this one out originally because it seems the idea that all Apple computers are now worth stupid money because Steve Jobs passed away. Maybe we should all start stocking up on boxed copies of Windows because in the ebay world, when Bill Gates eventually dies, copies of Windows will be worth their weight in gold.

Maybe even more so the MS DOS v1 and v1.1 disks with DONKEY.BAS on them. (That's the game that BG wrote.)

i get the price increase in age for historical/museum purposes, however, i know most of the people on this board, like me, just like to tinker and geek out over stuff we had (or didnt have) when we were young.

the technology itself being 30 years old has no practical applications in 2011, which makes it useless to 99.9999% of the population. its just the stupid ebay people overinflating prices and people who are not tinkerers and nerds buying things because they want to resell because steve jobs died or whatever the case may be. its all just misinformation, like most of the internet is.

we'd all be better off if ebay and facebook never existed.

Maybe not ebay, I get a lot of newer computer parts off there for dirt cheap, for example my 3G CDMA card I got for $6.50 there, free shipping, or I could've saved my money and got one from sprint for close to $80. However, it's the stupid people there that the world can do without, as for facebook, I think the world would be a whole lot better if it never had came along.

we'd all be better off if ebay and facebook never existed.

I agree with you about facebook but not about ebay.The reason is that for all of us outside of US ebay is-sometimes-the only place we can find the vintage stuff we are looking for.For example I got my coco3 with Fd 501 drive from ebay that is impossible to find in Greece.And in the 2 greek vintage computer forums you can find only a few vintage items that are so overpriced that is a lot cheaper to get them from abroad than from the local seller!Of course there are the VCF and the amibay market places but sometimes ebay is the only way.:(

Look at the seller's other auctions. Everything is grossly overpriced.

So in this case the seller is just loonie, but I was just checking on an item that I had in mind which was not an auction but a buy-it-now item at (iirc) $49 - which was normal and in line with the wider world as well as all the other stuff the seller has which is properly priced. Now at the end of the listing period, this one item only jumps to $999. WTF, how can that be explained? Did they forget the period?

Texting should also be included. Face to face interactions have decreased, people type only with their two thumbs, and sooner enough, LOL is going to be added to the dictionary.

I hate typing on rubber-dome keyboards, let alone typing with thumbs on a touchscreen or microscopic keyboard. I don't own a cellphone and can't use one, but my friends let me try them out now and then.

It doesn't even come close to my buckling spring keyboards.

The reason is that for all of us outside of US ebay is-sometimes-the only place we can find the vintage stuff we are looking for.
I agree

Fair price : if i own one, what price should i want tho have for it, if selling?

The risk of ebay...paying in advance

i paid the seller always correct, immediately after receiving the bill
but.......
- it happens i received not a thing, and emails or messages weren't answered at all, the seller has my money and i have nothing
- i received the items, broken, i always demand to ship the items with care, sufficient protected (and paid extra for it), but some of my last items arrived with no protection at all, the ebay claims... a joke
- some of the sellers doesn't know the by paypal international offered options ( a.o. confirmed address)

Last edited:
Well seems like a lot of sellers recently have this "Steve Jobs" thing going on where they can add an addional amount of money to the item just because Steve's name is engraved in the inside of the Macintosh. So what! Adds no value at all. Just my 2 cents worth.

So in this case the seller is just loonie, but I was just checking on an item that I had in mind which was not an auction but a buy-it-now item at (iirc) $49 - which was normal and in line with the wider world as well as all the other stuff the seller has which is properly priced. Now at the end of the listing period, this one item only jumps to $999. WTF, how can that be explained? Did they forget the period?

Well, if there are no bids, the seller is free to terminate his auction and re-list it however it goes.

If there are bids, the process is a bit more complicated and eBay frowns on the practice. Of course, the seller can claim the item was stolen, or he broke it, or his dog ate it, then relist it later.

OTOH, I've run into sellers that have been wonderful.

This guy is hilarious. I like now that Steve has died everyone bumps up their machine(s) costs buy $200. Some moron on eBay was also listing a Lisa 2 not working, no manuals for 10k. If it was a Lisa 1 I could see but a Lisa 2?? I'd give the guy 300 for it.

Back