• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Any Kaypro 4 owners have a disk with Comms programs they can share?

k0d3g3ar

Experienced Member
Hi there, I have a Kaypro 4 running the native TERM program for terminal emulation, and I've setup a Raspberry Pi 2 to act as a Linux computer. I can terminal connect to the Pi no problem and that is great. I'm running IRC (Weechat) on the Pi and hence using my Kaypro as a dedicated IRC client through terminal.

I would like to do some word processing on my Kaypro. I love that keyboard and being a touch typist, it would be my preferred machine for writing. The only problem is that I'm not sure I feel all that comfortable saving my work on floppy disks. I believe a better way would be for me to use X/YMODEM to create the document locally, then send a copy of it to a Linux machine or use some cloud backup via my Pi for the files.

This is where I have a problem. I don't have any X/YMODEM software (e.g. Kermit) for the Kaypro. The disks I have seem to have everything BUT that. Since I can't download it from the Internet and I don't have any other computer here with a 5.25" drive that would be able to create one (or at least not one I can setup easily for this), I was wondering if a kind soul here who might have a floppy disk with Kermit and/or other serial communications software would be willing to make a copy and mail me the disk? I'd be more than happy to pay for it.

I'm in Phoenix, so this would be relatively simple for anyone in the US to assist.

If you can help, please let me know. Thanks in advance.

Myles

Hmm... why not run a text editor (vi, emacs) on the Pi? I typically use a screen session attached to the serial usb. Something like...

screen -T osborne1 /dev/tty.usbserial 1200

(Replacing osborne1 with the right termcap entry name for the kaypro. 1200 sets the baud rate, probably higher for your machine.) Then, in screen:

Control-A and then Shift-: (shift-colon)
exec ::: /usr/libexec/getty std.1200

As an alternate approach, you can set the initial entry to accept login on ttyUSBupper. Use something like this entry in the /etc/inittab:

#Spawn a getty on Raspberry Pi serial line
T0:23:respawn:/sbin/getty -L ttyUSBupper 1200 osborne1

When changing /etc/inittab, new settings can be set by

sudo init q

Thanks, but I'm writing a book here. I want to do it in Perfect Writer because its not only what I know, but I really couldn't see myself doing literary work in vi. Sure, I code in it all the time, but not a book. I really want to do the writing on the Kaypro and just transfer the files from it to an external source.

Myles

I wrote PCGET and PCPUT for the Kaypro 10 to transfer files back and forth using the XMODEM protocol. The Kaypro 4 has the same serial port hardware as the Modem port on the Kaypro 10, so these should work when the "M"odem port is specified for transfer. Take a look at the ReadMe file to figure out how to get PCGET onto the Kaypro the first time.

http://deramp.com/downloads/index.php?dir=kaypro/kaypro10/software/pcget_pcput/

Mike

I wrote PCGET and PCPUT for the Kaypro 10 to transfer files back and forth using the XMODEM protocol. The Kaypro 4 has the same serial port hardware as the Modem port on the Kaypro 10, so these should work when the "M"odem port is specified for transfer. Take a look at the ReadMe file to figure out how to get PCGET onto the Kaypro the first time.

Mike, you are a saint!!! That's exactly what I think I need. But I still have the problem of the "chicken or the egg". Although I'm waiting on receiving a Kaypro 10 that I've bought from someone on eBay, and your software will be PERFECT for what I need. However how do I get it onto my machine in the first place? Do you have it on disk that I can buy from you or something?

Myles

Hold on, I read your Readme.pdf and I think I see what you are saying there. Since I'm using a Linux machine as my target for it, are you saying that all I would need to do is echo the content of the .HEX file out of the serial port in Linux (e.g. cat PCGET.HEX > /dev/tty0 or whatever device) but first start PIP in CP/M to receive it? Then basically compile that on the Kaypro with LOAD, right? Am I understanding your instructions correctly here?

Myles

Yes, you've got it. The example in the ReadMe file will probably work for you as I imagine RDR: is assigned to the Kaypro serial port. After the file transmit is complete, you'll need to send ctrl-z from the linux side to the Kaypro to make pip write and close the file.

Mike

http://deramp.com/downloads/index.php?dir=kaypro/kaypro10/software/pcget_pcput/

Mike

Here is an updated link to PCGET and PCPUT for the Kaypro: http://deramp.com/downloads/kaypro/kaypro10/software/pcget_pcput/

Mike

Have you thought about Kermit? I'll try and fire mine up later. I've done something similar with a Pi Zero W with pretty good results. Kermit is very versatile.

I'd find IMP245 and the correct overlay for the model of Kaypro you've got. It's an excellet terminal program that does both XMODEM & YMODEM.

g.

Have you thought about Kermit? I'll try and fire mine up later. I've done something similar with a Pi Zero W with pretty good results. Kermit is very versatile.

if anyone on here has a copy of kermit for the kaypro 4 I'd appreciate it as well, have a 4/83 and 4/84 model Id love to try it out on. thanks

Back