• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Any ladies here?

digger

Experienced Member
I know that female vintage computer collectors and enthusiasts are a lot less common (unfortunately, IMO). I'm just wondering if there are any in the forums (whether lurking or actively posting) at the moment. As far as I could determine, all the people I've seen post in here so far seemed males, but of course I could be mistaken.

I agree that gender should be completely irrelevant with regards to the topics and interests in these forms, but still I'm interested to know if you ladies are out there.

Please keep this topic civilized, everyone. This is a serious question.

There was a woman here when I first joined. I think she was up over 50 posts or so but then she went away. I can't figure out how to use this forum, so I can't find the name any more but perhaps someone who understands the software can look through the members list. Anyway, it's an interesting question. I find women with hardware skills, using DOS, programming in Cobol, and all kinds of historical stuff, but not with an interest in old hardware - and not here. :(

Dead Alewives, thank you. I thought it was Dr. Demento job for some reason - the other side must have been feeding me misinformation.

Edit: Very well. I'll just leave it at that.

Last edited:
Any women I have met that like old tech has been strictly limited to video gaming tech. Pong lovers, console lovers, arcade lovers, but no computer lovers.

I wonder if the woman Ole is thinking about may be Dianne Reuby?
http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/showthread.php?t=1605

There may be a few others, but a female alias doesn't have to mark a person's gender. For example I'm still unsure about the user Lisa, who said to be an Apple collector. Many women may also choose to stay neutral in order not to gain unwanted attention. I've seen a couple of examples when a woman presents herself to a group of nerds and gets almost stalked to death just because of her gender. Sad but true.

carlsson: I wonder if the woman Ole is thinking about may be Dianne Reuby?
Not that one - so that makes two! :) The one I was thinking of had a picture of a girl (or girls) around a man in an easy chair. A Christmas scene perhaps. .. That's the best memory picture I can come up with right now. She was corresponding with Terry Yager I noticed too.

Anyway like digger says, it's not that important. However, all kinds of diversity is nice to have. We're not doing too badly on other kinds of "variety" here though. :p

It could also be that women are more doers than talkers, so rather than discuss vintage computer matters on a forum, they try to solve things on their own. :p

It could be that things like vintage computers are a bit like having miniature trains running in the basement and things like that. Women are generally just not interested in, how shall I call it, relatively specialized focussed hobbies. The few women I did meet that liked toying around with hardware weren't realy interested in the nostalgia portion of computing, they were women that liked to take matters into their own hands when someone's computer broke. Kinda the opposite of women who fly atop a table, screaming that there is a mouse runing on the floor!

Sorry, I'm not always good at explaining things heh

Sorry, but it's hard to take this thread seriously. Especially since the original poster used the term 'Ladies'. All I can think of is two sleazy guys trying to pick up a hottie in a bar .. "Hey, want to see my floppy drive? I've got a 5.25 one ..."

On a more serious note, if there was a woman lurking around here, she is now running for the hills. Let's stick to things more on topic ... a Grace Hopper fan club is on topic, but only if you talk about COBOL and the first computer bugs. ;-0

Mike

lmao @this thread. This is gonna be profile stalking 101 in a bit? j/k. Yes there are a few ladies on the forum, but to be honest I wouldn't be surprised if threads like this and a flood of PMs when mentioning they're female scare them off. Just a guess though. For whatever reason I won't post the ids of the few I do remember/know.

I guess it could be a psychological thing though of collecting or perhaps the electronics/computer field but I'm honestly not sure nor can I speak for the opposite sex on whether it's a lack of interest in the subject (or an over abundance of attention they get if they do).

Sorry, but it's hard to take this thread seriously. Especially since the original poster used the term 'Ladies'.

I assure you, I chose that term out of politeness. "Girls" was obviously too patronizing, and "Any women here?" would seem weird (at best). Also, I generally don't pick up women in internet forums. ;)

In hindsight, I guess I should've used something more politically correct and less ambiguous such as "female forum members" instead.

On a more serious note, if there was a woman lurking around here, she is now running for the hills.

Honestly, what's with the "women as fragile leafs" myth? Quite a few female forum lurkers would probably ridicule us rather than flee. ;)

Anyway, one prominent female vintage computer enthusiast who comes to mind is Jeri Ellsworth, creator of the C64DTV and cocreator of the C-One. She didn't just tinker with vintage hardware, she actually found a way to make a living from it too. That's more than can be said for most of us. :)

Hey, maybe she's reading this very topic right now and having a good laugh at our expense! Hi, Jeri! :mrgreen:

She's not on this site, but "Danamania" is a fairly prolific vintage Mac collector, with accounts on a couple vintage Mac-oriented forums. (She's also a great photographer, although her site seems to be down at the moment.)

Meh, only woman I ever remember on the forums was Sandy Cagle. Must've been into computers a little bit, as a few years ago I recall she was selling a Seagate HDD of some sorts.

But, as stated before, I'm sure they don't want to be singled out. I think most of us here aren't exactly desperate(I have a fiance), but still, with the stereotypes and whatnot...I mean, if this was a D&D forum, then dudes would be all over women like a homeless person on a bologna sandwich.

--Ryan

Meh, only woman I ever remember on the forums was Sandy Cagle. Must've been into computers a little bit, as a few years ago I recall she was selling a Seagate HDD of some sorts.
That's the woman I was thinking about! I noticed that she left shortly after I arrived. I hope that's coincidence. :)

But, as stated before, I'm sure they don't want to be singled out. I think most of us here aren't exactly desperate(I have a fiance), but still, with the stereotypes and whatnot...I mean, if this was a D&D forum, then dudes would be all over women like a homeless person on a bologna sandwich.

Yes, some men (boys?) have trouble with manners when they go on line.

I was trying to remember Jeri's whole name, that's who I was remembering when I was thinking of this thread earlier. Talked to her a few times, she's really into what she does and I kind of admire that.

Back