• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Any way to bypass autoexec.bat in MS DOS 3.21?

roberttx

Veteran Member
I know how to do it in 6.22, but is there any way of doing it in 3.21?

Thanks

Problem was, it was running a menu routine that made the display unreadable and I couldn't get it to boot from floppy.

Problem solved - after I extracted the baseball card that somebody had lodged in the floppy drive and gave the heads a good clean, I was able to get it to boot from floppy.

Shift didn't work, but it would still be interesting to know whether there's any way of bypassing it in older versions.

You can try pressing F5 on boot. Another option is to rename the AUTOEXEC.BAT to AUTOEXEC.BA_ or something similar. Try Google. Also, you could just REM out the offending line(s) in your present AUTOEXEC.BAT.

Problem was, it was running a menu routine that made the display unreadable and I couldn't get it to boot from floppy.
You could have interrupted the execution of the config.sys with a (Ctrl+Break) and then dealt with the autoexec.bat after the system had booted without reading it.

DOS 5 was the first version use <SHIFT> to skip; DOS 6 was the first to have <F5> and <F8> to skip. Those were the versions when it was likely for a system to lack a floppy drive; earlier versions left maintenance to floppy boot.

Note DOS 6 has a CONFIG.SYS option SWITCHES=/n which prevents the use of any key to skip CONFIG.SYS or AUTOEXEC.BAT. Keep a floppy handy.

Back