• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Any way to make my B/W screen amber?

12VCLP4 is the sticker attached to the CRT. It is the same display as used in the Model 1 TV and the Model III and is considered TV grade. I gave a link to a known Amber display computer grade!

@KC9UDX:: Actually I have seen a couple of times a job listing on craigslist about skills in assembling CRT's in the Orlando Area. So maybe some are still being built in the US?

Somebody replaced the tube in their M1 with the amber one and saved the old tube in the Langley box. I did the same with a Green tube back in the day. The KTR 131 label is an RCA stock code for a TV chassis. The M1 display is an RCA KTR 121 or 123.

Tom

Still not a good quality CRT for a Model III. This is where RS got cheap. Should have used the 12VCMP4 same as used in the B/W Model 4. Better image quality

NOt 100% related to original post, but I have come upon a number of Model 1's with Zenith monitors. There must have been a local person around here who sold them that way, with an adapter cable to fit a composite display. The Zenth's model: ZVM-121. I wonder if you can somehow stick a display like that, remove the cover, into a Model III, with an internal adapter of some sort. Could be too cludgey.

FrankG, that's what I thought. I saw the link you posted, not a bad price, I was just checking all my options. ;)

@tank: I have no idea what the 1204 compared to a 1201 would mean. Do as Mr. Chuck(G) said and contact VDC directly there is a phone number listed on the sticker of that CRT on eBay you have a link to. 800-241-5005. They should be able to clarify the meaning. And quote shipping charges etc.

@KC9UDX:: Actually I have seen a couple of times a job listing on craigslist about skills in assembling CRT's in the Orlando Area. So maybe some are still being built in the US?

That's very interesting! I wonder what they're building them for.

Well, I dunno. VDC looks like an outlet for a refurbisher. contact information here. If they're still doing business at the cited email address, I'd rather deal with them directly than with an ebay seller.

If it's a CRT rebuilder, either it's offshore, or a surprise.

I find it hard to take someone serious who's selling displays for the C&C industry. :rolleyes:

Dunno why, you got a custom made x million dollar production line made in Japan in 1986 and you need one screwball monitor... my company has one and lazy ass techs that will spend 200$ for a 79.99 power supply so they don't have to put the slightest thought in replacing it... why not a crt

Same reason they kept a room full of off brand mda monitors until I made them a mda /cga to ntsc composite adapter to plug into lcd tv's

If it's a CRT rebuilder, either it's offshore, or a surprise.

I find it hard to take someone serious who's selling displays for the C&C industry. :rolleyes:

Well, if you look at the regular website, they're not doing much of that. And yes, I suspect the operation is offshore--either that, or they've got a heckuva lot of NOS.

Aside from projection jugs, I think the CRT is pretty close to being officially dead.

Aside from projection jugs, I think the CRT is pretty close to being officially dead.

I thought CRTs were long dead in projection systems, too. Aren't those mostly based on DLP nowadays? Or is even DLP being supplanted by newer technologies?

Well, here goes.

I called. The lady asked me what I was replacing, I said it was a RCA 12VCLP4, then she asked what I wanted to replace it with. I said, with a VDC1204DP31BE or a VDC1201DPDBBE. (Green, and Amber) She then told me that neither are interchangeable with 12VCLP4, nor are either of the VDC tubes interchangeable with each other. When I asked her why, she said they had mechanical differences, which I believe means the mounts are different.

So, I looked at the one at Ebay, and from what I can tell, the mounts are the same as the RCA tube as are the plugs on the neck.

What should I do?

Electrically, they're probably the same (most 12" monitor jugs are), but mounts do differ, although not to the extent that they can't be easily accommodated.

Go with your gut, I say.

Back