• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Anybody here have a BIOS ROM flasher?

It's a combination of principle, practicality, and choice. Since most programmers have industry standard interfaces (mostly either Centronics or USB), it should be possible to use them with any (sufficiently fast) computer that is equipped with said interfaces, as long as it is running a fairly common OS. Why should I have to boot a different operating system just so I can use that device? The late 90s and early 00s are over, darn it: both Linux and Mac OS X are pretty much mainstream operating systems these days! We have interface and protocol standards for a reason.

And don't even get me started on "planned obsolescence"!
Maybe you should just move this to the 'rant' section, since it's mainly about your 'principles' and 'choice'...

As far as practicality's concerned, I guess if you don't want to 'choose' any of the programmers (like the Willem in this thread) that have Linux software then I thought that was what VMs and emulators like Wine are for, and virtual com ports, USB<>RS-232 adapters etc.

And if you think there's a large enough market for Mac EPROM burners, why not write that software and make your fortune?

The dark side is calling youuuuu....

Back