• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Anybody tried the new MS Edge?

Stone

10k Member
I've briefly experienced Edge while installing and configuring a NOS Lenovo ThinkCentre M81 which has Windows 10 Enterprise pre-installed. It seems much as IE11 or later (if there is such a thing). I use FireFox 72 as my browser of choice, purely for the anti-tracking and tab & password synch feature, as I have multiple laptops and tower systems in use.

I've briefly experienced Edge while installing and configuring a NOS Lenovo ThinkCentre M81 which has Windows 10 Enterprise pre-installed. It seems much as IE11 or later (if there is such a thing). I use FireFox 72 as my browser of choice, purely for the anti-tracking and tab & password synch feature, as I have multiple laptops and tower systems in use.

The Chromium based Edge wouldn't be in an OEM image on an M81.

It's the Chromium Edge browser and it's not just for Windows 10 any more. It runs on Windows 7 and 8 as well. I've been using it on 7 and it seems quite good and fast. I normally use Chrome but this has me thinking. I'm going to use it for a while and see how it compares (to Chrome) but so far it passes the sniff test.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/6/19/18692033/microsoft-chromium-edge-windows-7-8-available-download

Not only have I used it; I've deployed the enterprise preview through my institution so its available to 60 employees and no complaints. It also gives me an opportunity to provide feedback and I feel the Insider team is more open to acting on feedback than Google would be.

The Chromium based Edge wouldn't be in an OEM image on an M81.
What he said.

It's a Chrome clone; nothing like IE.

It hasn't even reached general distribution yet! :)

I have been using it on my main machine (Win7) for a while now since Firefox seems to hog more resources. Pretty sure I had posted a thread about it when MS started releasing it as a test (Canary version updated weekly).

I have been using it on my main machine (Win7) for a while now since Firefox seems to hog more resources.

Firefox has had severe problems with memory leaks for years, I had to finally abandon it because I got tired of single tabs eating up 4+ GB of memory if left open for more than a few hours.

Firefox has had severe problems with memory leaks for years, I had to finally abandon it because I got tired of single tabs eating up 4+ GB of memory if left open for more than a few hours.

I really appreciate that I can have 200+ tabs open in Chrome for over a week and performance doesn't suffer much. If the new Edge can't do this I think I'll need to keep using Chrome.

I have been using it on my main machine (Win7) for a while now since Firefox seems to hog more resources. Pretty sure I had posted a thread about it when MS started releasing it as a test (Canary version updated weekly).

Canary is the version I use on my computers and Dev is the version in production machines.

Back