• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Anyone ever hear of a "Florida Computer Graphics" computer?

whartung

Veteran Member
Back in the day, early 80s ('83 or so), at the office we had a machine that, as I recall, was called "Florida Computer Graphics".

It was notable for two reasons.

First, it had a very nice, full color, square pixels screen. This was very novel for the time. Second, it had the first inkjet printer I'd encountered plugged into it. I don't know who made the printer.

It had a BASIC that was extended to offer graphics commands, and we were able to print the screens to the printer.

I can't say what OS it had. I barely recall it having a floppy drive (but it must have, none of the micros we had then had hard drives). I think it was a Z80.

All I recall was that I would write programs to create charts, expanded pie charts. We also got it to do the Mandelbrot images, which were very hot at the time.

The Director of our department came down with the Scientific American (I think) article and said "Can you guys do this?" and, off we went. We discovered the fastest way to do them was to run the FORTRAN version on the university mainframe (it was really fast), and then download the resulting data and render them locally.

I have no photos, I recall the computer being brown with a rounded monitor.

So, curious if anyone has ever heard of this machine. Light googling hasn't found anything, but the words are really common so I get everything.

Look right?
Yea, that's it. I recognize the colors and the keyboard and FCG logo. Monitor looks right, I don't recall it being in a fork-style stand like that.

Boy, it sure was fancy. "Multi-Processor Architecture and 48-bit microcoded firmware." Nobody knew anything about that. I have no idea how I found out about the commands for the BASIC, I don't recall any documentation handy. Just Forrest Gumped my way through it.

High-res graphics rendering in 1982 was beyond the lowly microprocessor's capability. I think I read somewhere that FGC used 2901s for their unit.

I remember decades ago PCBs from FGC showing up at a local surplus shop.
I stripped a handfull of 2901's out of them.
Their building has been an industrial warehouse for a long time.
I never saw a system in the wild.

Back