• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Anyone has the Epson Px-8 test tape to adjust the tape drive?

theancientone

Reading the tech manual seems that there is a tape used by Epson technicians to play a test tone, which would be used to adjust the tape driver and register it to the correct settings to read and write on tape.

Have been looking everywhere without success... Does anyone have a wav file of this tone sound or the original tape in wav format?

I'd be interested in this as well, or any method to make one.
Alternatively it soulds feasible to me to write a bit of basic code that would save a specific file that, when played in audio, would sound like a test tone, and you would then adjust the playback speed until it matches theory

According to the PX8 tech doc,

A file full of 1s should sound like a 1Khz sine wave, the flag bit itself is a 1, so a 1Khz as well.
So if we could write a program that just sends like 64Kb of 1 to the tape, this should roughly sound like a 1Khz tone.
Each byte should be exactly 9ms on tape (1ms per bit, + 1ms for the flag)

We could then adjust VR1 accordingly. You rewrite the same file , adjust VR1, and repeat until your file "sounds" 1KHz.

This is purely theoritical but I don't think i'm far off the truth.

According to the PX8 tech doc,

A file full of 1s should sound like a 1Khz sine wave, the flag bit itself is a 1, so a 1Khz as well.
So if we could write a program that just sends like 64Kb of 1 to the tape, this should roughly sound like a 1Khz tone.
Each byte should be exactly 9ms on tape (1ms per bit, + 1ms for the flag)

We could then adjust VR1 accordingly. You rewrite the same file , adjust VR1, and repeat until your file "sounds" 1KHz.

This is purely theoritical but I don't think i'm far off the truth.

You could also use a sound transducer to visualize the tone and adjust it until you get a "perfect" shaped 1 KHz sine wave.

I thought it was 3khz for the test tape. There's websites that sell them. Around $50 or more.

Back