• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Anyone here ever heard of a Sinclair 2068?

Chromedome45

Veteran Member
Hi I few weeks back I went to pick up and H-8 Heathkit and also received one of these 2068's by Timex/Sinclair. Has power brick and manuals and a video or video to demodulator cable with it. Just wondering if it is of value to anyone.

barythrin

Veteran Member
Wow. Congrats on the H-8 too! I'm not overly familiar with them but always thought they looked neat lol. I get a bit lost in the 2000 series and what the differences in the models are so can't remember if i've seen a 2068 or 2086 or 2048. You have the manuals, how similar is it to a ZX Spectrum? I love that zx spectrum screen saver (screen shots of intro screens to games), seems like a potentially fun system if the software is obtainable.

vwestlife

Veteran Member
The TS2068 is an Americanized and highly upgraded Sinclair ZX Spectrum, with a better keyboard, better graphics, better sound, a better BASIC, a monitor output, built-in joystick ports, and a built-in cartridge port. Unfortunately, all of the upgrades Timex did made it incompatible with most Spectrum software, unless you have the rare Spectrum ROM cartridge installed. Timex did have a small selection (about 30 titles) of TS2068-specific software available, some of which shows up periodically on eBay.

Chromedome45

Veteran Member
BaryThrin: looks like this ::: http://www.cris.com/~alxevans/TS2068.html

Regarding the H-8 got it with the H17 Floppy drive cabinet with 3 drives in it, Z80 CPU card instead of the 8080. 64K RAM board, Multiport 4 port serial H8-4
2 floppy controllers the h17 board which is hard sectored and the h37 which is soft sectored. All manuals for the board and CP/M 2.2 manual and a few disks.
Had the option of picking up the h19 terminal but passed on it. Which I am now regretting. When I 1st turned it on heard a crackle and some hissing. Thought
there was a snake inside but turned out to be a shorted Tantalum Cap on the Memory board 12 volt side. After removing it booted up ok for the most part.
Still needed some work on a couple of bad chips here and there but it's now working fairly stable.

Oh I also picked up a Nixdorf pocket computer as well. Has a readout like the old Texas instruments line of calculators. Has a loose power plug I would like to replace or fix but can't open
it up because there is an expansion cartridge in the way that I can't get out.

Last edited:

billdeg

Technician
thm_Timex_Sinclair_2068.jpg

Mine does not work, smoked. I got it in a pile of stuff, not sure when. I cleaned it up and it sits with the 1000 stuff.

http://vintagecomputer.net/sinclair/Timex_Sinclair_2068.jpg bigger pic.