• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Anyone here into collecting big box PC games?

Guybrush3pwood

Experienced Member
Any interested in trading? I have some duplicates. Figured this might be a good place to set up some trades. Post up if interested!

All these items are complete as far as I know. Pics of complete contents can be provided if needed.

Tex Murphy: Under a Killing Moon
Gabriel Knight 3
Tex Murphy: Pandora Directive
Realms of the Haunting
Epic Pinball: Enigma (sealed)
Beast Within: A Gabriel Knight Mystery
Sim City 2000 Deluxe Edition (silver box with all the expansions)

Again, let me know if you're interested in trading and we'll work something out!

Last edited:
I love LGR! My collection pales in comparison. Someone suggested I post what I have in the OP, so I'll do so.

I think he has the tex murphy games. I don't and would be interested in them. I dont have much in the area of extras for trade though.

I think he has the tex murphy games. I don't and would be interested in them. I dont have much in the area of extras for trade though.

Seems to be the case with most people. Nobody else has duplicates or they're just not looking to trade. Looks like I might be stuck with these.

I had like 100+ big box games before i moved out of my old appartment. The tex Murphy games had their boring moments but were generally very entertaining. Doesn't need a big box to play them if ya get what i mean.

Original "Under a Killing moon" is like under 5 dollars including shipping if ya can spare the box and paperwork:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Under-A-Kil...ames-PC-CDs-/371401911712?hash=item5679476da0

Martian Memorandum is quite an expensive collectible in good condition. seen one end for 300 bucks. But that was pretty crazy, would even think twice paying that much for Maniac Mansion in near perfect condition.

I had like 100+ big box games before i moved out of my old appartment. The tex Murphy games had their boring moments but were generally very entertaining. Doesn't need a big box to play them if ya get what i mean.

Original "Under a Killing moon" is like under 5 dollars including shipping if ya can spare the box and paperwork:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Under-A-Kil...ames-PC-CDs-/371401911712?hash=item5679476da0

Martian Memorandum is quite an expensive collectible in good condition. seen one end for 300 bucks. But that was pretty crazy, would even think twice paying that much for Maniac Mansion in near perfect condition.

Collector's tend to care about boxes. As far as I'm concerned, games without their boxes aren't worth more than maybe $2.

Collector's tend to care about boxes. As far as I'm concerned, games without their boxes aren't worth more than maybe $2.

Or 1.25 USD in this case.

Yeah, did care about the boxes, that's why i had a whole closet full of them. I guess my reason to give up collecting big box PC games was that there's so many of them and i lacked space. I still kept all my Japanese PC games though. And some oddballs that i just didn't manage to sell yet or kept out of sentimental reasons.

Well i guess a big thing was also that i kinda stopped playing games. I still play jagged Alliance 2 sometimes and very rarely i dig out classics like "Sim City 2000", "Master of Orion" or "Mad TV".

I liked the big box games, really did. But with wife, daughter, limited sapce and time it also made limited sense to maintain such a collection imho. I still believe that most of my old games are now in better hands, I wouldn't be able to do more for them then just letting them catch dust.

A shame that modern games all come in trashy DVD cases, not worth collecting any more i feel. If i ever start collecting games again then maybe it should be Virtua Boy games, there's not so many of them and they don't take much space.

There's always ebay.

Guess I'm going to have to. I've posted at a few places now and NOBODY seems interested in trading. Pity.

Or 1.25 USD in this case.

Yeah, did care about the boxes, that's why i had a whole closet full of them. I guess my reason to give up collecting big box PC games was that there's so many of them and i lacked space. I still kept all my Japanese PC games though. And some oddballs that i just didn't manage to sell yet or kept out of sentimental reasons.

Well i guess a big thing was also that i kinda stopped playing games. I still play jagged Alliance 2 sometimes and very rarely i dig out classics like "Sim City 2000", "Master of Orion" or "Mad TV".

I liked the big box games, really did. But with wife, daughter, limited sapce and time it also made limited sense to maintain such a collection imho. I still believe that most of my old games are now in better hands, I wouldn't be able to do more for them then just letting them catch dust.

A shame that modern games all come in trashy DVD cases, not worth collecting any more i feel. If i ever start collecting games again then maybe it should be Virtua Boy games, there's not so many of them and they don't take much space.

Grrr wish you still had them.

trading always seems like kind of a hassle. you have to go and think what duplicates you do have then you have to list them and hope that maybe those are the kind of games in the kind of condition the other guys wants then you have to mess with shipping. Its just so much easier to out right buy stuff. "oh you want XXX amount of money, great, PayPaled, done"
the other thing is, like kyodai mentioned, big box PC games eat so much space. its hard enough to find room for singles let alone keep duplicates, that and the low price most of them go for its just not worth the effort or space to keep big box PC duplicates around even for trade fodder.

I have a lot of boxed games, more Commodore and Amiga but a lot of PC and Apple too. I will make a photo set, easier than listing. I may have some good ones, I don't know. Probably 100 titles.

I have a lot of boxed games, more Commodore and Amiga but a lot of PC and Apple too. I will make a photo set, easier than listing. I may have some good ones, I don't know. Probably 100 titles.

I too recently uncovered a heap of boxed PC games from storage. They were stored into larger boxes that are surprisingly heavy. I know there's some who fancy old PC boxes and I'd rather they move on to someone on this kind of forum vs. fleabay. I'll take some group pics and go from there.

I'd love to be a middle-man on all of these games as they make their way out of storage and into other people's houses. As some of you may know, I'm heading up a huge DOS game archive called the "total DOS collection" (TDC) and our objective is to archive every possible DOS game and edutainment title for the PC. I have no actual interest in keeping any of these games in their boxed form, so I don't pose a risk to actual collectors- I just want to make sure the digital information is preserved for future generations. Please PM me if you have collections of games- especially the more obscure titles from the early 80s, as we always need 2ndary copies to compare against to verify that we have good dumps.

This is the latest archive.org snapshot. This is out of date- we released #10 a couple months ago. I've been lazy in making sure archive is up to date.
https://archive.org/details/Total_DOS_Collection_Release_7_2014_01
We release torrent snapshots of the archive every 6 months on a site I won't mention here.

For the TDC archive:
1) Each game in the archive is simply zipped- that's the lowest common denominator across DOS platforms. Each game is cracked to remove its dependencies on any media.
2) Unless the game is a booter and cannot be converted to a simple DOS file set that can be zipped, then disk image(s) are provided.

For my personal collecting:
1) I use any disk imaging solution that can re-create a working disk if ever it is needed. Depending on the game, that could be a simple .IMG, or teledisk image, moving up to a transcopy image. I haven't found a need for anything higher resolution than transcopy to warrant a kyroflux purchase.
2) Disk images are otherwise not included in TDC. There are other groups doing disk image work, so my images are stored elsewhere. I am more than happy to contribute any disk images I have to others for inclusion into their work.

Do you have links or info on the other groups doing disk image archives? I collect some big box games but once in a while I'll get one with a bad disk and it would be nice to be able to replace it without rolling the dice on ebay again.

Also regarding TDC...if you are really looking to get EVERY worthwhile DOS game (not just major publishers) there are a ton of Q(uick)BASIC games missing.

TDC is not just looking for every worthwhile game, we're looking for every game, period.
Yes, there are lots of games missing today, even many from major publishers. There isn't enough time in the day to get them all rolled in yet, but we've been at this for ~8 years and I do believe we are at least getting them into the collection faster than new games for DOS are being published. We have no illusions that this project will ever be finished, but every year brings us slightly closer to that horizon.

Back