• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Anyone know Win16 programming and games?

If anyone's got a Windows 1 DDK, we could do with a 640x480 VGA driver :D

Somewhere on my hard drive I've got an attempt to do it by patching the 640x350 EGA driver, but a proper build would be better.

Lucky you. I'm 19 years old so not only am I not an MSDN subscriber (yet) but I don't have these things laying around from when they were easy to find. I had to SCOUR the net to find them, heh.

I have some of the SDK material from Win1x if anyone ends up looking for it for whatever reason - I think the 1.03 SDK..

Edit:
*reads above post*

I don't know C and I'm just learning ASM - I honestly don't know what language the SDK is for though.

Anywho here it is - hopefully you can make some useful things for us with it.

http://www.mediafire.com/?jbwxxnjfnho

I believe I actually still have a book on a shelf at my Dad's house about Windows 3.x programming using Borland's OWL (Object Windows Library). I'll try to remember to look for it the next time I visit there. :)

Also, there was Win32s, which allowed for some limited 32-bit programming on Windows 3.11. It was still dependent on cooperative multitasking, and did not offer actual memory protection. However, I don't think you can use it with Windows 3.1, let alone any of the even earlier versions.

I just bought a book on VB3 for Win3x yesterday, so if someone ends up going that route and runs into some questions shoot me a PM.

digger wrote:

Also, there was Win32s, which allowed for some limited 32-bit programming on Windows 3.11. It was still dependent on cooperative multitasking, and did not offer actual memory protection. However, I don't think you can use it with Windows 3.1, let alone any of the even earlier versions.

Yes I had Win32s working just fine in Windows 3.1, however I don't think this would have worked on 3.0 - let me know if this isn't the case. Windows 3.1 & 3.11 are very simular with 3.11 adding extra support for the new hardware which was coming out at the time - I think support for SVGA was one of those things. :sarcasm:

Anyway I had Win32s working just fine and it was great to have FreeCell on it too! :D

Has anyone mentioned Delphi :confused: - early versions of Delphi allow you to make Windows 3.x based applications - I think what you got with early versions of Delphi was a version for Win95 and one for Win 3.1. I think there was some 3D stuff written in Delphi though I'm not totally sure - certainally in Turbo Pascal you could simulate something which could have a 3D look to it and since Delphi brought Objects with the ability of programming in Pascal whatever you had in that application, then I guess it's possible.

Back