• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Anyone own a DEC PC 3500/5510

ColorComputerStore

Experienced Member
dec.jpg

Wondering if anyone owns this machine? I bought it as part of a bundle. It was pretty yellow when I got it but thankfully, it booted.

The machine came with...
  • Windows NT (but had security password)
  • CD-ROM drive
  • 3 GB IDE drive
  • ISA Card Lan port
  • Onboard 2 USB 1.0 ports
  • Think RAM was 128MB
  • Creative Sound Blaster 16 (CT2810) card
  • Crystal CS4236B audio controller onboard
  • Intel 440LX chipset motherboard

Updates I have made...
  • Maxed out the onboard Matrox video
  • Added ATI Rage 128 AGP card
  • Added PCI USB card 4 external, 1 internal USB 2.0
  • Added IDE to SD Card
  • Installed Windows 98SE on SD Card
  • Removed innards of power supply and replaced with a quiet more efficient power supply
  • Installed a front case fan
  • Added PMW to the front case fan (set to manual speed, need to still figure out how to do automatic speed)
  • Max out the memory to 384 RAM
  • Installed Multi-card reader
  • Installed internal USB hub to connect the multi-card reader to PCI Card
  • Replaced CD-ROM with CD-R/W drive
  • Bought a 3 button Digital Equipment mouse

I'm considering the following updates...
  • Replace 3GB IDE with a larger IDE, such as 120Gb ~ 240 GB
  • Replace Pentium II 300MHz with Pentium II 333Mhz*
  • Buying a 'more white' PS/2 keyboard. The one I bought is too beige and doesn't match the case as well
* I considered a Socket 1 adapter for a Celeron 533 Celeron to get faster speed, but considering I have other machines to handle more demanding games, and this machine is for DOS, Win9x gaming, I should be OK.

The manuals for this machine is online. What attracted me to it is the horizontal case. I like this style of machine. Its taken me several weeks to do all the upgrades and to get it looking so clean.

Cheers

I had the Pentium 120 version, so one generation older but the case looks the same.

IMG_20210131_181122.jpg dec P120 inside.jpg

Sold it recently and My Dec Alpha Station 400 too...

Regards, Roland

Wow. There's a form factor I have not seen in a long time.
I also ran the Pentium version for a year or so with Ubuntu right up until they dumped support for S3 chipsets. It wasn't too bad.

I have one running SC Xenix that was originally for switching 400kV grid connections. It came with a custom keyboard for selecting and controlling the various high voltage breakers.

I own the tower version, DEC 5510 and I've attempted but failed to upgrade the CPU. It will hang at the cache check during bootup with a 433 2.0v celeron. I'm using the p333 it shipped with. There's bios updates posted on http://declegacy.gomtuu.net/legacysupport/digital/epid122.html but they didn't help. Wondering if there's a way to patch the bios to support a cpu faster than 333. Tried a Katmai p3 and it posts but the system is unable with it, works in DOS but Windows freezes both 98 and XP.

Has two 80GB disk drives because they're quieter than my smaller disks. They work fine in it.

I tried a TNT 16mb video card but it would lock up in 3D then I switched to a Rage Fury 32MB which works fine and even plays DVDs with low CPU usage. It's tough to find video cards which support the case.

The onboard sound works in DOS but I installed a SoundBlaster anyway.

Let me know if you have any luck with a Celeron and what bios version you're using.

I was able to enable the l2 cache using the PowerLeap CPU control panel. I also have a DVD reader in it. the CD-Rom it came with couldn't read CD-RW disks.

Back