• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Anyone Selling XT-IDE Cards?

I've come one step closer to something now. I copied the xtidecfg.com and the bin file to a empty floppy and tried to do it on my 5155. Auto-configure: No controllers found, but when I flashed it this time the bios works. I get the XT-IDE menu where it scans for drives.

Now over to the bad part. Connected a IDE drive with ms-dos 6.22, No drives found. Tried starting the config program again after flashing and selecting auto-configure. Still "no controllers found" message.

The Pentium system Didn't work either before. I'll try with the win98 drive and this card now and see if it works.

EDIT: Pentium II system reported same. Moved the IDE cable from mobo header to XT-IDE. The card booted the bios fine, but reported no drive on master and no drive on slave.

If you're getting the ROM menu but no drives detected, that's often a sign that you've got something misconfigured -- since you've already provided your switch settings, double-check that the BIOS is set up for the right base address, and that your high-speed/Chuck Mod jumpers are in the right position. Unfortunately I can't really help with the 2.x BIOS configuration, I've never personally used it. I still ship the 1.1.5 XUB with assembled cards, since the 2.x series is still listed as beta.

Or possibly a bad solder joint / Chip, Have a good look at all solder joints and reflow any that looks suspect.

Writeup on the rev 3 design process:

http://www.glitchwrks.com/2016/07/06/xt-ide-rev3

I'll be doing a writeup, or maybe a video, on how I assemble them as well, sort of a "this is the easiest order to stuff components" thing.

I'd like to wrap up the preorders by some time next week. Currently I'm waiting on payments, kits and assembled units are sitting on the shelf, ready to ship. I want to get the preorders squared away so that the people who missed the preorder can place their orders. If you preorderd and I haven't heard something from you by next week, I will likely cancel your preorder and sell the board(s)/kits(s) I'd reserved for you. If you've already messaged me about paying later for whatever reason, then you're already taken care of and your preorder will be held!

Are there PCBs still in stock?; if so, I'll happily get one of them (PCB+parts if both are available) :)

Yep! I ordered about 40% more than was preordered. I will post information on placing orders once preorders are squared away.

If you preorderd and I haven't heard something from you by next week, I will likely cancel your preorder and sell the board(s)/kits(s) I'd reserved for you.
Not for anything but I hope you don't find that the number of deadbeats here corresponds with the numbers observed in general, elsewhere. Too many losers will guarantee you that it's a done deal when it's anything but that. Asking for a measly $10 deposit will weed the a**holes right out.

Sorry if this has been answered before, but what are the limitations of this board?

- Can it do over 8GB?

- Can it be used with an IDE > SATA Adapter, the kind that plugs in the back of a SATA drive?

Thanks!

Keenly awaiting my order's arrival (Australia is so far away haha)

Not for anything but I hope you don't find that the number of deadbeats here corresponds with the numbers observed in general, elsewhere. Too many losers will guarantee you that it's a done deal when it's anything but that. Asking for a measly $10 deposit will weed the a**holes right out.

A formal preorder process seems to have helped greatly with it, so far I'm at about 10% of confirmed preorders who haven't made any sort of contact with me, which is within my expected tolerances. Plus, anyone who fails to pay on this preorder will be logged and refused preorders on any future projects.

- Can it do over 8GB?

Sure, but your OS will also need to support hard drives > 8GB to make use of it.

- Can it be used with an IDE > SATA Adapter, the kind that plugs in the back of a SATA drive?

I would assume so, as long as the SATA bridge is well behaved. I haven't personally tested this configuration.

Success,

Got my board working last night. So far no problems running a spinning hard disk. I have a DOM coming in a week or two and look forward to using that. However, I could use some advice. There are a bunch of different versions of the XTIDE Universal BIOS and I can't figure out Which one would be best for my situation. I started with XTIDE_Universal_BIOS_v2.0.0_beta3 from HERE. I know James Pearce has more recent versions on his web site. Should I use one of those?

My current set up is as follows:

XT/286 5162.
XTIDE rev 3 with a 3MB Fujitsu IDE HD but will be changing to a 1 GB DOM.
Original 20 MB MFM HD with Original Controller. (I read somewhere that the newer version of XTIDE Universal BIOS didn't get along well with this drive, but so far so good with XTIDE_Universal_BIOS_v2.0.0_beta3 )

Also, I plan to move the board over to my 5155 later on.

All suggestions welcome.

What are the pro's and cons of the different versions?

Last edited:
I ship the XT-IDE Universal BIOS 1.1.5 with assembled boards, since the 2.x series is still listed as beta.

I ship the XT-IDE Universal BIOS 1.1.5 with assembled boards, since the 2.x series is still listed as beta.
Yep, I was wondering why there are three BETA versions and the most recent non-beta is 6 years old. I just stared with the most recent version I could find quickly, knowing that there could be issues.

You can download the latest code from here. You will need to configure it for your card as you program the EEPROM.

I know James Pearce has more recent versions on his web site. Should I use one of those?
Yes, always use the latest version. I will post in the v2 beta testing thread if/when I or someone else commits code unsuitable for use. Don't worry about the v2.x versions being 'beta' just because they explicitly say that in the version string. As I see it, they are all beta versions, more or less.

Keep in mind, if everyone only uses old versions then development will stop due to lack of testing and feedback. Yes, it sucks to be a guinea pig but if I were to do all the testing myself, then it would be extremely time consuming, and expensive (to acquire all the hardware). Yes, I'm a cheap bastard. ;)

What are the pro's and cons of the different versions?
The only 'pro' I can think of with regard to v1.1.5 (and earlier, I suppose) is that the harddisk benchmark in Norton Utilities SI.EXE works. With some builds of v2.x it will (appear to) hang the machine.

Pros for v2.x;
* Support for more hardware (different types of harddrive controllers and of course the virtual serial drive feature).
* It's _required_ for the XT-IDE v2 and v3 "High speed mode".
* More features in general (power saving for example).
* It's compatible with (can run from the ROM socket on) 3Com 3C503 cards unlike older versions.
* Higher performance.
* It's modular which is great if you want to make your own custom builds from source using only the features you want.

Note that I'm talking about the latest versions here, not the official releases available from Google Code.

I'm sure other people can add more pro's and cons to the list (for old and new versions). I would be interested to hear if anyone is using an older version (v1.x) for some specific reason.

I have no idea any longer. When I came home today and tried the flashing utility it suddenly said "Found 1 controller" on the auto-configure option. It wasn't kidding either, Master at 80h: WD something...
The problem now is that I have no idea how I can make this bootable now. The partitioning I tried on another pc didn't work. I tried using windows formatting to clear the drive (unformatted) and used fdisk from PC-Dos 3.3 to create a primary C Partition. So far so good, then comes the next big issue. I type in "C:" it changes fine. I try "mkdir DOS", then "Error reading drive C: " Is there some special formatting I have to do in order to use it?

Chuck's modified version of Hargle's BIOS also works with the high speed mode/Chuck Mod. That's what's running on my Chuck Modded rev 1 card.

Ah yes, that's true. I had forgotten about that. Are you using that version for a specific reason?

The problem now is that I have no idea how I can make this bootable now. The partitioning I tried on another pc didn't work. I tried using windows formatting to clear the drive (unformatted) and used fdisk from PC-Dos 3.3 to create a primary C Partition. So far so good, then comes the next big issue. I type in "C:" it changes fine. I try "mkdir DOS", then "Error reading drive C: " Is there some special formatting I have to do in order to use it?
It would help to know what drive you are using.

Back