• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Anyone want to help get a monitor from New Jersey?

LOCAL PICK UP ONLY - TOO HEAVY & TOO EXPENSIVE TO SHIP

Actually it would only cost $30 - $35 to ship this monitor.

Tell the seller and see what he says.

I'm not near South River or I'd get it for you.

You would be surprised how hard it is to find a box big enough for those small cube monitors with enough room left over for cushion (and shipping companies charge more for box size then weight after a point).

I don't trust most eBay sellers with shipping packing, so it may be for the best that he doesn't ship. I'd rather not have it than have it destroyed in shipment.

$35 is a lot for a broken monitor. It'd be great if someone local could slap a VGA adapter on it and test it.

You would be surprised how hard it is to find a box big enough for those small cube monitors with enough room left over for cushion (and shipping companies charge more for box size then weight after a point).
I've sold and shipped lots of those size monitors without having any problem finding boxes. :)

I've also shipped plenty of NEC Multisyncs, you know, those massive 37 pound beasts, without issue either so I really can't agree with you at all.

I can't find adequate boxes very often. That little thing is a joke though. But you can always make a box. That's right, go to Wallyworld between say 8 - 11pm. Sterling is a company that makes plastic containers. They usually ship multiples in one carton, so these can be pretty big. You can cut one down, I use a piece of 1" x 2" x 36" piece of pine to make the bends. It's a bit of work. If you look hard you can sometimes find cartons, but dimensions are critical, you go too big so does the shipping charge. I've made boxes out of large sheets of cardboard. One time I shipped a 4' cast iron lathe bed to a guy in California. It looked like a big burrito! Arrived safe and sound, and the guy installed it and was very happy.

You know what, I actually know that lady. It'll be a while before I can get up that way (about 2 hours). If you want, I could ask her to hold it, if you're intent on paying for it. A yes or no will do for now. It's all up in the air.

It's $13, I'm intent on paying that, yes. The shipping to ship it to Colorado if it's found to not work, not so sure. It'd be nice if I could just pay whatever the disposal costs are there. I'm not sure how one disposes of a CRT in NJ, in eastern CO we smash them and put them in normal trash because there is literally nothing else to do. It'd be nice if it worked though!

It's $13, I'm intent on paying that, yes. The shipping to ship it to Colorado if it's found to not work, not so sure. It'd be nice if I could just pay whatever the disposal costs are there. I'm not sure how one disposes of a CRT in NJ, in eastern CO we sash I was them and put them in normal trash because there is literally nothing else to do. It'd be nice if it worked though!

I could call her tomorrow and ask if she'll hold it and get back to you. It could be 2 - 3 weeks before Im up tjat way, just to be on the safe side. She has a huge garage type thing behind her house, I don't see why she couldn't/wouldn't. And no there's no disposal fee. Hell an older couple were walking by the house and commented on the "vintage items" I was throwing out. The next day they were gone! I absolutely hate myself for getting rid of those 2 IBM 19" trinitrons. AHOLE AHOLE AHOLE?

You can always pay The UPS Store to pack it. They generally do a good job...though I did just get a SPARCserver 670MP that they barely packed, so YMMV.

That's quite a while. I have the time, if you and her have the time, but if anyone else happens to be in the area I'd be fine with them getting it too - I have this thread on 68kmla as well. But feel free to go ahead! If she's fine with holding it, let me know and I can pay her for it.
Im surprised there's no fee for CRTs!
Yeah, generally speaking I'd trust FedEx or UPS to ship it, if they wrapped it in front of you. It's not perfect but they insure it that way. It's nicer to pack it yourself, but sometimes you just don't have the resources.

Yeah, generally speaking I'd trust FedEx or UPS to ship it, if they wrapped it in front of you. It's not perfect but they insure it that way. It's nicer to pack it yourself, but sometimes you just don't have the resources.
They insure it no matter who packs it!

I've shipped a dozen monitors with FedEx and all the results were good. They pack them very well -- better than I could. But it costs ~ $25 for them to pack it so the total shipping charges would be $50 to $60 if they do the packing as well.

It's a tiny monitor. I can pack it, ship it, via USPS only. I'm not driving around looking for Kinko's or whatever. Personally I trust USPS far more. I don't understand why someone would opt for the others!!!

Why??? Are people so incapable of putting a parcel together?

So while i'm in total agreement with this in theory, and never paid anyone to pack and ship anything myself, i do hate having to hoard boxes and foam taking up space in my garage for the rare occasion i might need to ship something... Especially having to keep big boxes.. I assume the ups people probably have everything needed to do it and if you gotta go out to get all that stuff anyway, might just be easiest.

When you have to move stuff, adding 25$ to the cost to ship might be a significant damper. You don't have to hoard. I'm selling off a bunch of stuff right now. Yes I have a bunch of boxes and some foam on hand (and am running low! Gonna have to go dumpster diving pretty soon!).

And I will also point out I bought a few items from her, as her husband had some sort of business, or perhaps was just a hoarder. AT & T 6300, sans keyboard, no worky, AT & T monitor, work nicey, NCR vga monitor, no worky (and dirty!), Apple III monitor, works but not all that nice, Franklin 1200, rodent habitat. So you're taking a chance. I remember seeing the Mac monitor, didn't really need it. 1 or 2 other not too interesting items.

Ah, interesting. I have a IIsi and think it would match it pretty well.

Calculated prices for a 18" cube 26 pound package:
---------------------------------------------------------
USPS.com:
$59.86 for Ground
$62.45 for Priority
UPS.com:
$323.96 for Air
$64.50 for Ground
FedEx:
$50.07 for Ground

So, not fun, but still just barely worth it if it works.

[EDIT] You're right, I haven't seen that many Mac monitor to VGA adapters. I used to have one though, I used a Multiple Scan 15 with my Dell.

Back