• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Anyone want to help get a monitor from New Jersey?

I reckon definitely not worth it. Better to get something from your neck of the woods, may pay more up front, less shipping, and you can badger the seller for details so you know what you're getting.

When you are on the west coast there is usually so much stuff available in CA / OR / WA that it makes almost no sense to ship things from the east coast IMO.

That adapter is for a PC. A Mac to vga monitor adapter could have switches. I've been through the bulk of my stuff and I don't recall seeing any. I used to trip over them.

If a Mac monitor has a cord attached, it's going to be wired to tell the mac which resolution it should boot into. Whether this will mean anything to a PC remains a question (vga cards can be selected for mono or color at least, at least early ones). A Mac video cable will connect certain pins
If you build your own adapter, this may or may not matter. That is certain sense pins may be ignored when you wire up the thing. All depends though.

The link I posted was just for in case someone local wanted to test that monitor. I already have a pretty nice Mac to VGA monitor adapter with both dip switches and a cool looking wheel for preset settings, if I want to connect a VGA monitor to my Mac. But I have a special affinity for CRT monitors, even more than computers...

When you plug a Mac monitor into a PC, I believe the PC will use the resolution the monitor requests, like a 640x480 PC monitor I have - connected computers never question whether or not they should use that resolution. I know nothing about the wiring involved, just from my experience plugging stuff in :)

You are right Peter it is closer to California. I suppose that might factor into shipping; I've never tried comparing the cost. Still, I don't know anyone who would go 1000 miles to pick something up or drop something off :)

Monitors don't request resolutions. The cable is hard wired to cause the computer to boot up in a particular resolution - in the case of a Mac. PCS don't have the same selection scheme, it's a function of how the OS chooses to boot. But when we had a choice between mono or color, there was a selection scheme built in. But that's the extent of it. Some aftermarket Mac video cards were even more eleaborate, 1 in particular needing a diode across 2 pins. Can't remember anymore particulars though.

Back