• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Anything! I'm desperate... sorta

sciencegirl100

Experienced Member
I really want to grow my vintage collection as much as I can. I like cutting-edge, brand new stuff, and really old stuff.
I'm mostly interested in old Apple or IBM equipment, but as long as it has a good story, I might like it.
Even if you don't want to give up your old stuff, if it's got a good story, let me know. (I like computer history, like ALOT. I guess that's why I'm here.)

Here's my current collection.

Heh. You remind me of myself.
I don't stock Apple gear - kinda looking for a Macintosh portable myself - but I do have IBM-compatibles. Still no IBMs though. So I need some IBM stuff too :) If you live in the USA and are interested, I might be able to sell my 1990 Zenith laptop, been wanting to get it to a good home.

This may not be the kind of story you had in mind, but I like telling stories so here is one. In 2011 (when I was about 15) I found a 1991 Grid laptop at a yard sale for $2 - they thought maybe it was a DVD player. I was able to hack together a power supply for it from my mother's laptop charger, then it worked really well - I liked playing Gorillas on its monochrome screen. After about two weeks I was curious what would happen if I connected the charger wires to a couple of battery terminals so that fried it. A friend gave me a 1997 laptop to replace it but it didn't feel the same. I bought a 1993 Zeos to replace it, it worked well and sort of replaced it. Recently I got another Grid of the same model and worked hard to try to repair one, but to no avail. Now I don't use the Zeos much like I used to.

I have access to a couple of IBM PC's maybe 3 PC XT's with MFM Hard drives. Not in the best shape cosmetically. The lids could use a good repainting as they have some light rust on them.

As far as history of these they were once used by NASA at the Kennedy Space center and by the USAF at Canaveral Air Force station. So they were used as part of the space program.

I tested these systems a few months back and did parts swapping to get as many working as I can. No keyboard or any other accessory included unless I can scrounge up a couple. But mainly just the computers.

Need to talk to the owner and see what he wants for them. These are heavy so shipping will be a little on the high side.

@sciencedude Where are you located?

Welcome sciencedude. I have a lot of IBM parts and some Apple stuff. You can see some of the assortment if you check the eBay store. If you see anything on there, send me a message. I'm sure we can work something out. I have a lot of parts that aren't listed, and we're in New York as well. :)

I installed a lot into that beast -- she was new in the box when I found her. I have an almost new model 90 too, it's almost new because my technician thought it was his new test machine ! LOL

Feel free to send a message here or there, i don't mind either. I'll be able to do better on this side though because ebay is a beast with their fees!

Last edited:
Use SearchTempest: NY and surrounding states usually have more vintage equipment ads than you could ever buy. No need whatsoever to pay eBay prices and shipping.

https://allentown.craigslist.org/sys/5620585450.html
http://allentown.craigslist.org/sys/5620603107.html
https://reading.craigslist.org/sys/5643125735.html

Buy everything:
http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthread.php?52459-Lots-more-for-sale

Seek and you shall find.

My luck with craigslist hasn't been the best. When I search for old computer stuff, all I get is TV-installation services (yes, even under "for sale"), "gaming PCs", and graphics cards.
I have been seeing a few good things here or there, but usually way too expensive.

Welcome. I see you are going to SUNY Polytech, back in my day it was SUNY IT Utica/Rome.

The CS page is still under the IT domain name, they just recently got their new sign (less than 6mo ago).
Did you attend there?

Anyway, I plan to bring my Mac SE with me, as well as my main desktop.

1: Search daily.
2: Use many different search terms.
3: Use a nice story to search with your .edu and so on. People love a good story.

The results of searching are a function of discipline and time spent.

Maybe lyonadmiral can provide some training: he is a Craigslist raider if there ever was one. ;-)

The CS page is still under the IT domain name, they just recently got their new sign (less than 6mo ago).
Did you attend there?

Anyway, I plan to bring my Mac SE with me, as well as my main desktop.

I went a little ways down the road to Morrisville, I found it to be a much homey environment, at least for me.

Back