• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Apple II question

zane

I was reading the fix the yellowing thread and it made me wonder.
Is this II spose to be yellow, or was it white?

As far as I now they are a kind of off-white/cream colour. At least that's what my Europlus is.

Without seeing one brand-new from the factory floor it's hard to tell what the exact original colour was. All existing (untreated) units probably have some yellowing, even if it is to a very small degree.

Glossy pics is some old computer mags might be a guide but pics also discolour over the years.

Tez

Yeah, it is hard to tell brand new from 25+ years old but in my opinion, all of my II's and II+ are mostly the same color and my first computer I got (my II+ in 1980) still looks the same as it did when I got it from ComputerLand. I would say if one looks off, try cleaning it.

Vince

I was kinda wondering that myself. It's been asserted that the process doesn't bleach the plastic, just reverses the oxidation (or whatever). So an item that's intended to be slightly on the yellow side will only come back to the original color and not fade out too much?

And, yes, The A][, ][+, ][e are slightly yellowish straight from the box, unless it's a Platinum. The //c is snowy white.

--T

Back