• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Apple Space War

Hi Everybody,

I was wondering if anyone could tell me if "Apple Space War", a game for the 48K Apple ][, is like the original Space War which is emulated using Java at the following website:

http://spacewar.oversigma.com/

Thanks,
Sean

I'm not sure if this is the game you're talking about or not but download this disk: ftp://ftp.apple.asimov.net/pub/appl...tarblazer_flipout_spacewar_lunarlander.dsk.gz . The Space War game on there was written by Bill Budge and looks a lot like the link you posted. It even lets you set some parameters before you start the game, just like the original arcade version did. Hope you enjoy it.

Dean

I'm not sure if this is the game you're talking about or not but download this disk: ftp://ftp.apple.asimov.net/pub/appl...tarblazer_flipout_spacewar_lunarlander.dsk.gz . The Space War game on there was written by Bill Budge and looks a lot like the link you posted. It even lets you set some parameters before you start the game, just like the original arcade version did. Hope you enjoy it.

Dean

Thanks! What program do I need to write an Apple disk on an IBM PC after I've downloaded the file?

Sean

Thanks! What program do I need to write an Apple disk on an IBM PC after I've downloaded the file?
You can't run an Apple II program on an IBM PC.
Well, specifically and practically, you can't write an Apple disk using an IBM PC . You can only transfer it to a real Apple II via some means of networking or serial cable. If you want to check the game out on a PC, though, Dean's suggestion for AppleWin is a good one. Let us know what kind of Apple II hardware you have and we can come up with other suggestions for you.

Well, specifically and practically, you can't write an Apple disk using an IBM PC . You can only transfer it to a real Apple II via some means of networking or serial cable. If you want to check the game out on a PC, though, Dean's suggestion for AppleWin is a good one. Let us know what kind of Apple II hardware you have and we can come up with other suggestions for you.

I actually don't have an Apple ][. I saw the program on floppy on ebay (for an outrageous price) and wondered if it would be worth buying a new computer to run it. But emulation is fine. Once I am set up to do that, I will.

Thanks everyone for the help.

Sean

I actually don't have an Apple ][. I saw the program on floppy on ebay (for an outrageous price) and wondered if it would be worth buying a new computer to run it. But emulation is fine.
Nah. Emulation has its place, but there's nothing like having the real thing sitting in front of you. It's worth buying a "new" computer (i.e. an Apple II) to run it.

Nah. Emulation has its place, but there's nothing like having the real thing sitting in front of you. It's worth buying a "new" computer (i.e. an Apple II) to run it.

If the program is different than the original Space War game that I would like to play I wouldn't enjoy it. Emulation is the cost effective way to find out if it's the right program. Also I need to know if there is an option to play against the computer, since I don't know anyone who would like to sit around and play video games.

Ultimately, what I'd like to do is write a version of the game I have in mind to run on two PCs linked via modem using GW-BASIC.

Sean

Back