• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Area 5150 for IBM PC 4.77MHz

I used MartyPC first time to run Area 5150. Yes Area 5150 works well nearly perfect to IBM PC 5150.

I use PCE 5150 Emulator with original IBM PC 5150 / 5160 configulation.

MartyPC still doesn't support FDC (Int-13) emulation fully for disk copy protection.
Also it can't set up user configulation.

So far, the MartyPC emulator does not allow the user to specify the settings of the IBM PC 5150/5160. Important disk protection is not supported, EGA / VGA is not supported.
On PCE, most of the 1000+ disk copy protected software I have works just fine.
However, it is worth praising that it implements smooth scrolling and the Area 5150 somewhat well. Also, I personally use the IBM PC 5150 / 5160 BIOS to run PCE, but MartyPC still can't do that.

MartyPC developer noticed some parts of the 8088 MPH demo not showing in my videos, so I recorded several new videos, trying to reproduce the bug. I found how to show the bug again, hence new uploaded video and now he is working on fixing it.
Ah, he mentioned something about the flying Delorean and polygon scenes skipping when there are keystrokes in the buffer... is that it? :)

So far, the MartyPC emulator does not allow the user to specify the settings of the IBM PC 5150/5160. Important disk protection is not supported, EGA / VGA is not supported.
However, it is worth praising that it implements smooth scrolling and the Area 5150 somewhat well. Also, I personally use the IBM PC 5150 / 5160 BIOS to run PCE, but MartyPC still can't do that.
It sure can. If you drop the IBM BIOS and BASIC images into the roms folder instead of the GlaBIOS ones, it'll use them just fine.

About the rest, yes, some things are missing; give it time. It's still a very new project.

I think MartyPC looks great, and I really admire it's a new development made from scratch, by a sole developer. Amazing! Unfortunately, I wasn't able to run it on my Windows 10 computer. It crashes before doing anything.

For now, until a more mature version is released, I'll stick with 86Box, which may not be as accurate, but comes close and seems to be good enough and cycle accurate enough for most applications.

MartyPC still doesn't support FDC (Int-13) emulation fully for disk copy protection.

Hi, dev here!

MartyPC actually is doing low level emulation of a NEC µPD765 FDC, with some sector limitations removed (you can read 1.44Mb floppies on an XT). So there's no Int13 emulation at all - the BIOS int13 ISR talks to the emulated FDC. In theory, this should be very compatible.

The main issue is that I only support raw sector images; I simply don't have the metadata to handle unusual sector sizes, or unusual track layouts that copy-protected images might have. Also floppy drive timings aren't emulated, not sure if that would trip up any extant protections. In any case, I won't consider MartyPC 'complete' until you can load up a kryoflux image and play.

I'm working on a better configuration system - it's clear that people want to be able to create machine profiles and have finer granularity over things like memory size, peripherals and such, and switch between these profiles easily. I'm planning to even let you make a "fantasy machine" like remapping the CGA memory aperture higher to enable a system with 900KB of conventional memory :)

EGA/VGA were about 75% complete before I rewrote my CGA to be cycle-accurate for Area 5150. I disabled them in my release build as they are incomplete (no CGA emulation, no mode-x) and not very accurate (they draw VRAM every frame taking "hints" from the CRTC, compared to the CGA's cycle-accurate rendering.)
I have no illusions that everyone should drop any other emulator they may have been using. MartyPC has only been in development for 15 months now; I have a long way to go to catch up with projects that have been in development for many years.

I do all my development using the IBM 5160 BIOS; I include GLaBIOS as it is not copyright encumbered, and the developer is an overall great guy. Feel free to substitute IBM BIOS images. If you find some images that don't work with MartyPC please let me know so I can add them. If you source them from 86box or minuszerodegrees, they should work right away.

Just curious, what format(s) are your copy protected images in? Do you have a recommended title that I could take a look at first when I start to tackle copy protection?

I think MartyPC looks great, and I really admire it's a new development made from scratch, by a sole developer. Amazing! Unfortunately, I wasn't able to run it on my Windows 10 computer. It crashes before doing anything.

I'd love to take a look at to why this is happening for you. MartyPC relies on a GPU library that sometimes has trouble with certain graphics configurations, especially if you have an older card, or if you have integrated graphics in combination with a video card; the latter issue should be fixed in the next release. In either case, I'd really appreciate it if you had the time to open an issue: https://github.com/dbalsom/martypc/issues/new/choose We can look through some debug logs and find out the cause. You'd be helping me out a bunch too!

@GloriousCow

I use PCE 5150 emulator.
The format of Disk copy protected sector images are various.

I use .PSI image mainly.

In general, Disk Copy Protected Disk takes an image dump from FDC connected to USB and floppy drives such as SCP (Super Card Pro), Greaseweazle, and Kryoflux, and creates a standard disk image .ima .img .dsk so that it can be executed in an emulator. Change it to .vfd or in case of PCE, change it to .PRI .PSI as an image format. Regarding the disk protection, I think that it will be useful to some extent if you analyze the source after receiving the emulator from the link below based on PCE. And personally, I want to use the original BIOS of the IBM PC 5150/5160 with user-defined settings like PCE. PCE is not yet supported, but it will be more interesting if it goes further and emulates PCjr / Tandy 1000 / IBM PS/2 Model 30/25 (8086-2).

In general, Disk Copy Protected Disk takes an image dump from FDC connected to USB and floppy drives such as SCP (Super Card Pro), Greaseweazle, and Kryoflux, and creates a standard disk image .ima .img .dsk so that it can be executed in an emulator. Change it to .vfd or in case of PCE, change it to .PRI .PSI as an image format. Regarding the disk protection, I think that it will be useful to some extent if you analyze the source after receiving the emulator from the link below based on PCE. And personally, I want to use the original BIOS of the IBM PC 5150/5160 with user-defined settings like PCE. PCE is not yet supported, but it will be more interesting if it goes further and emulates PCjr / Tandy 1000 / IBM PS/2 Model 30/25 (8086-2).

I'll be using the source of Hampa's PSI conversion tool hopefully to figure out how to support Kryoflux images. Other formats would be nice to follow; PSI seems like a nice format, SCP, or 86box's 86F. I wasn't aware that you could have copy-protected images in IMG format; I just didn't think that would work. Do you have an example of a copy-protected title in IMG format that doesn't work in MartyPC at the moment?

I think you misinterpreted what was written; .IMG is a cooked sector format only (ie. 180k, 360k, etc.) and cannot support any protected formats. IMG is specifically for non-protected formats.

Back