• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Artist Robert Henke and his CBM 8032 AV performance

I actually personally know a folk singer named Bob Henke, thought this was him branching out. Different Henke, and very impressive as a medium

Many years ago back in the 1970's after a night of extravagances, a friend and I came up with the idea of using many cathode ray tubes (like the ubiquitous 5PB1, 5" radar tubes) arranged in clusters, like flowers, and having rotating Lissajous figures on their faces and maybe synchronizing those with the back beat of music. Then we would set them up in an Art Gallery. Like a form of Science meets nature display.

(for those that don't know about this, Rock & Roll was invented by an Australian Scientist named Yahoo Serious, who discovered it, in an alley, while playing Hopscotch, 1,2,3, 4 etc, he realized the formula was 4 beats and a back beat. He also split a Beer Atom in his backyard. Eat your heart out Lord Rutherford. You won't know what this means until you see the movie).

In any case we thought this display of "cathode ray tube art" was pretty clever and it might even attract a Queen Elizabeth Arts Council grant of $10,000, which in those days, back in the 1970's, was "a lot of bread man". In those days they were giving these grants out for a picture frame that was just a plain white canvas, with just one thin Red line drawn across it, and somehow that was called "Art". So we were pretty confident we could do better than that, or so we thought.

But when we woke up the next day, when sanity prevailed, we decided not to pursue the idea.

Last edited:
Many years ago back in the 1970's after a night of extravagances, a friend and I came up with the idea of using many cathode ray tubes (like the ubiquitous 5PB1, 5" radar tubes) arranged in clusters, like flowers, and having rotating Lissajous figures on their faces and maybe synchronizing those with the back beat of music. Then we would set them up in an Art Gallery. Like a form of Science meets nature display.

What a cool story and idea, I think even today it would be a neat art piece to realise :)

Now I have a movie to check out...

Back