• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

AS/400 Terminal Problem

BuggZ

Experienced Member
I've never worked with an IBM AIX system before so today I decided to set up my AS/400 that I had acquired a while back. I have the 3197-D10 terminal display and the TWINAX cabling and distribution box. I connected the display to the AS/400 and powered the display on first and got a loud squealing noise from the display. Powered on the tower and it showed activity on the tape and CD drives. I never did get any kind of display on the terminal though. I disconnected the interface cable from the back of the monitor to the terminal card in the base of the terminal and the noise stopped. I suspect the terminal got damaged when the movers packed it up during my move in July (wrapped it in one layer of bubble wrap and covered the screen with cardboard, but left the interface cable connected). Before I have to go fight with the moving company over the cost of repairs, I thought I'd ask if anyone here has any suggestions or pointers in case I have something configured wrong.

Nothing rattling. I also thought the flyback transformer may be bad but as I stated the noise goes away when I disconnect the cable between the monitor and the Twinax interface in the base of the terminal. I can also see the glow in the back of the tube through the vents and can see the effect of adjusting the brightness to max (momentarily visible retrace lines on the display).

Nothing rattling. I also thought the flyback transformer may be bad but as I stated the noise goes away when I disconnect the cable between the monitor and the Twinax interface in the base of the terminal. I can also see the glow in the back of the tube through the vents and can see the effect of adjusting the brightness to max (momentarily visible retrace lines on the display).

Can you get any sort of cursor or anything at all from the terminal with the Twinax pigtail removed? Seems really weird that it would only squeal if you plugged it in.

For what its worth I bought an IBM 5250 ISA twinax terminal emulator card for dealing with my AS/400 that I've yet to fire up. (No 240 volt service in the storage unit). As much as I like to have all the real hardware I've gotten tired of messing with old terminals. The emulator cards are cheap on ebay though.

Tried disconnecting the AS/400 and holding down the spacebar. No display or cursor on the screen. I still have the high-picthed noise when the interface cable between the CRT and the terminal board is connected.

Back