• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

AST Six Pack issue

Crap, well anyone else out there watching, can you confirm is it a futile mission? 24 pin to 28 pin adapter to plug in my Dallas No-Slot-Clock, and then plug my 24 pin ROM into the 28 pin socket on the clock?
The 24 pin U33 BIOS ROM will not work in the 28 pin socket - different pinouts.

What should work is what SpidersWeb wrote: The adapter you bought into the U33 socket, then the DS1216E into the adapter, then a 27xxx (or 27Cxxx) EPROM copy of the U33 ROM into the DS1216E.
1. No guarantees.
2. The U33 socket sits at address FE000, not F0000, and so the software at mbbrutman's web site is not expected to work. Try alternate DS1216E software.
3. When creating the 27xxx EPROM copy of the U33 ROM, the 8K image of U33 needs to go into the last 8K block in the EPROM (because of the particular adapter your bought).

Basically you will be doing what is described in the OPTION 1 area of http://www.minuszerodegrees.net/5150_u33.htm , except that you will be putting a DS1216E between the adapter and the 27xxx EPROM.

What I think I'll end up doing is just putting into my XT, and if anyone here wants an adapter I will sell it to you guys. Much more simpler.

What I think I'll end up doing is just putting into my XT, and if anyone here wants an adapter I will sell it to you guys. Much more simpler.
Lyonadmiral, I have some 27c256's and a programmer. If you send me a PM with your Bios version and address, I could program one with the appropriate bios and send it to you for the cost of shipping. Let me know if your interested.

@ibmapc
Thanks for the offer, but I traded the 24 to 28 pin adapter.

Let me know if you change your mind and want to try to put DS1216E in your 5150. Just tryin' to pay forward some favors others here have done for me. People on this forum are great! I really think that it's worth the trouble. I've had two of them in my 5155. The first one lasted 24 years before the battery died. The second one was purchased from Maxim about a year ago. Previously, you mentioned putting it in your XT. Let us know how it works out.

@ibmapc
Thanks for the offer, but I traded the 24 to 28 pin adapter.

Hey, Lyonadmiral, check THIS out. It's the manual for the No Slot Clock. If you look at page 48, it describes how to modify the No Slot Clock to work in a 24 pin socket without an adapter! Just solder a jumper between pins 1, 26, 27, 28 and plug it into the 24 pin socket with pins 1,2,27,28 hanging over the end, then, plug the rom in. Page 49 tells you which socket to put it in.

EDITED POST

I was messing around with the ASTClock.com program today and although it reports the Year incorrectly, MsDos 6.22 ends up getting it right.

You can see where the astclock.com program sets the year to 99 at the MOV,AL 63 instruction near location memory offset 0237 (debug).

The version on the astclock program I debugged was 1.10
The MSDos version I have loaded is 6.22

If someone really wanted to patch the astclock.com program to display the date correctly this might be a good place to start looking.

Enjoy.

Matt

Hey, just an update. I successfully patched ASTCLOCK.COM yesterday to show Y2K years properly. I thought it would be nice to share in this thread.

Solution:
http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthread.php?62497

Back