• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

AT motherboard with extra six pin power connector

uriahsky

I have a Gateway 2000 P1-75 it uses a AT power supply the two split six pin plugs. There is another six pin plug of the same type right by a PCI slot. I did some research and it seems there are two of these extra connectors. One has ground and 3.3v on the pins and one has ground, 12v and 5v on the connectors. I think this is for the 3.3v one, because they say the other one is used on ATX motherboards. Is this correct? Anyway to be sure? I can't seem to find any info on the particular Gateway.
Thanks
Russ

Sounds similar to the +3.3V connector used on the HP P1 Vectra--6 pin connector located physically closer to the processor socket than the regular power connector. If you take an ohmmeter/continuity tester, you'll find that 3 pins are ground and there's continuity between the second group of 3 pins.

Is that some type of standard? The reason I ask is because I think I have an oddball power supply like that that came from an IBM (I was told didnt see it) workstation.

It is right next to the PCI slot and it has three pins with continuity to ground and three pins that are that are continuous between their pins. I think it is for the 3.3 volts but where do I find a power supply that has this extra 3.3 volts. I have an adapter for an ATX power supply but it looks like I have Ver 2 which doesn't have -5 volts. I will keep looking for one but if I can't find one Unknown_K do you want to sell the one you have?? I will post a pic shortly.
Thanks
Russ

Yes, I have Dell, HP, Compaq and a few other PSUs that have that extra connector (and, of course, the motherboards that they were attached to) but I haven't found too many other companies outside of those three that actually used the connector. I think they all had their motherboards made by the same manuafacturers. TriGem?

It may not mean anything in this case, but a couple months ago, I replaced a CD/DVD drive on a 5 (?) year old Dell Optiplex 745, and it was powered by a 3.3V connector.
(I had a hell of a time finding a replacement drive with the correct power connector too!).
Could that 3.3V be for that?
Did the Gateway 2000 have an optical drive?

Back