• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

AT&T PC 7300 found in junk shop - salvageable?

bitfixer

Veteran Member
Hi there,

While on a weekend road trip, I dropped into a Junk shop/flea market in a small town. Buried far in the back, under a literal pile of debris, I spotted a plastic case that looked suspiciously computer-like. After partially unearthing it, I could see that it was an AT&T PC 7300. At that moment I was not in a position to unearth/transport it so I re-buried it for possible future excavation. It appeared to be in somewhat rough shape in what was essentially the back of a barn, buried in dusty stuff. I did not see a keyboard with it but it did have a monitor.
I don't know much about this computer, and was wondering if it was a good enough find to excavate and salvage. Any thoughts? Thanks..

Kinda depends what it's worth to you and what they're asking. It's a personal unix computer from AT&T so pretty cool historically however they don't (last time I checked) demand a *huge* amount for one, plus the keyboard snaps onto the base of the system which is part of the case and charm of the form factor (you can pull it off the case and put it in front of the system too, but generally when sitting there hosting things it would be back on the base again). The other part would be software although I've seen a surprisingly large set for sale before so I would think it's probably archived out there. If you enjoy a challenge, this might be a fun one.

While I imagine it's possible, it's probably not worth the effort.

Depends, I suppose, upon how much you like 68K gear and how handy you are. Is the keyboard more-or-less similar to the PC6300 one?

Now, a 3B2, would be worth going out of one's way for...

I'd get it for personal bragging rights. There are no AT&T computers anywhere around here so I'd snag it up real quick. If you're looking to collect it then go for it; if you are looking to re-sale it then skip it. But if it were me I'd get it first then worry about value later.

Back