• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Backpack 3.5" Driver on 5.25 DD (Wanted)

lyonadmiral

Veteran Member
I ordered a Microsolutions Backpack 3.5 Parallel Drive NIB, and I foolishly assumed that on the system requirements box it said DOS 2.0 or higher that the driver might have come on 5.25 but it didn't, it came on CD-ROM.

I don't have access to a 'tweener' system and was wondering if someone could put the driver on a 5.25 DD disk for me? I can pay you for cost of disk & shipping in advance or I can send you a disk with return envelope.

Thanks,
Daniel

*EDIT, I misread your post.

I can mail you one for the price of shipping, or if you mail me envelope and disk I can send that back to you. PM me if you want.

Got the 5.25 DD disk ready to mail. Just waiting on you. It contains the essentials; backpack.sys and 3 other utilities for formatting disks and such.

Read the chain, and I have the same problem. Just bought backpack drive on line and expected 5.25 disk that was not there. My Backpack is the 14350 model and I need the set-up utilities on a 360K 5.25 floppy. I would really be grateful for the help and will get a check or pay-pal off to you immediately. Let me know if you can help me and how to get you my address. Thanks Ed

Later versions of the Backpack floppy put all the drivers on a CD-ROM. Try sticking that in your 5150.

As Al mentions, there's always laplink or even a plain serial transfer. I once dumped a machine with no external ports and a strange floppy format (100 TPI GCR sui generis) by figuring out how to control an LED on the keyboard, then taping a phototransistor over it, feeding the serial port. Slow, but it worked.

FWIW, my newest machine with a floppy is a 4-core AMD ASRock (2 floppies on it actually), circa 2013. My oldest machine without a floppy is a circa-2000 HP thin client (although I can cheap by using a USB floppy).

USB floppies are inexpensive enough for everyone with a newer machine to have one around just in case.

Back