• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Bad luck with shipping latley

SomeGuy

Veteran Member
I guess I picked the worst time of the year to have stuff shipped to me.

I just had to put in am eBeh refund request for an item I bought a month ago but still have not received. Seller did not include tracking.

Then there was a small item a couple of weeks ago that said it was delivered to my mail box... but nothing. Until I got lucky and ran in to the mail person a few days later while they were loading mail in to our mail kiosk. Apparently it was still sitting in someone else's mail box.

But the worst one was the other day. I thought I would treat myself to a nice vintage shrink wrapped software box, manual, and floppy of an uncommon obscure database title for which there is very little information out there on the Internet.

Well, I got the package.... and that was all. No contents! The post office managed to rip the flimsy package open and lose the contents. When I asked the seller for a refund (well, ePay calls it it "Return" now), he refused, accusing me of opening the box myself, even though the label was stamped by USPS as "missing contents" and even the tracking show it as delivered as damaged. He also said *I* am supposed to file a claim with the post office, even though they ask for receipt documents that only a seller would have. Ug.

If anyone sees a "Microstuff InfoScope" software package laying around a post office somewhere...

Pfff, I must have wound up on someone's "naughty" list. :(

Yeah shipping around Christmas is always bad. Last week I got a neighbor's package in my mailbox.

Regarding the software, you should file a claim with ebay. Their "money back guarantee" means they almost always side with the buyer. The item arrived "damaged" so you are covered. Once ebay refunds your money, the seller will be forced to file the USPS claim (if he wants his money back).

Arrrraaggg. I tried to have "ebay step in", but now it is insisting that I return an item that I don't have because I never freaking got it. And of course, there is no way to actually CONTACT anyone at eBay about it.

I hate this planet.

I haven't needed to get much support, but I remember last year being able to reach someone through online support chat. Is it getting harder to reach someone?

I actually just found their support chat way at the bottom of one page somewhere. Their chatbot repeatedly says I have to give them a "police report" in order to correct the problem. I have absolutely no idea at all what that involves, but it would probably involve more time on my part, even if this is possible. It is not like someone stole it from my mailbox - I talked to a person at the post office and they told me they received the package at their office like that.

eBay's help pages just send me in circles.

I didn't realize buying on eBay had gotten so risky. I guess I will have to lay off buying stuff on eFuy.

This has got to be a first. Ebay actually siding with a seller and throwing the buyer under the bus.

The biggest problem I have with shipping in damage to the packages. Some sellers think it is ok to ship IC's in padded envelopes. Invariably, these get crushed, either by roller machines or some other mechanism like a person with a hammer insisting on squashing everything before it is delivered. I know right away, even before I open it, because I see all the puncture marks exactly 2.54mm apart where the IC pins perforated the envelope. Then inside they are all crushed and bent over. The global shipping program is the worst, inferior to USPS, because the package passes through multiple shipping steps before you get it. I once got one package that went around the world 3 times and passed through about 20 airports, not good when:

"Every stage in the shipping is equivalent to throwing the item down one flight of stairs"

I have been wanting to buy a 5151 VDU, but its too risky. By the time it arrives in Australia, it would make Humpty Dumpty look well organized.I will have to wait until post Covid times when I can come and collect it and carry it home myself.

Call eBay on the phone and explain the problem to them. Their human operators have the ability to do things that the web site won't let you do. Don't bother with the online chat, as it's likely just run by a bot, or a worker who can only choose from a list of pre-written responses. A scan or photo of the label stamped as "missing contents" by USPS should be all the proof you need.

This has got to be a first. Ebay actually siding with a seller and throwing the buyer under the bus.

Well, this won't be the last then. Everything has been totally automated so far. It used to be one could request a refund at any time, but they recently changed it so once tracking shows an item is "delivered" your only option is to file a "return", and "item not actually delivered" or "received an empty box" does not fit in to any of the multiple choice return reasons they give you.

So all a seller has to do now is send an empty box.

If I have to get the POLICE involved each time there is a problem now.... shudders.

I guess if you have to play the game you could return the empty box back to the seller. Tracking will prove you "returned" it.

Yeah That has happened lately. I bought a cable that was crap and I gave photos and reasons but eBay still sided with the seller. I then Filed a paypal claim., the same thing happened. Your damned if you do and damned if you dont. Thats what you get with these 3rd world support people.

Everything has been totally automated so far. It used to be one could request a refund at any time, but they recently changed it so once tracking shows an item is "delivered" your only option is to file a "return", and "item not actually delivered" or "received an empty box" does not fit in to any of the multiple choice return reasons they give you.
"Missing parts or pieces" would qualify. Just explain that it's missing everything!

ebayreturn.png

Im with vwestlife. You cant expect this to go well if you dont try and get someone on the phone. I know in todays society everyone is the complete hypocracy of an agoraphobic claiming to be social because of "social meatheadia" with little to no verbal contact, but ebays' system is designed to weed out problems and not solve them. Your case seems cut and dry in your favor but you still need to call them.

Last edited:
Another option might be a chargeback, if you used a credit card. You paid for an item was never delivered. The seller/ebay/paypal/USPS should be forced to work it out between themselves. The burden should not be on the buyer.

Call eBay on the phone and explain the problem to them. Their human operators have the ability to do things that the web site won't let you do. Don't bother with the online chat, as it's likely just run by a bot, or a worker who can only choose from a list of pre-written responses. A scan or photo of the label stamped as "missing contents" by USPS should be all the proof you need.

You can call Ebay but the robo response directs you back to their "Customer Help". About the only way you can talk to a real person is when they will call you back "within 1 minute". This usually has to do with refunds or sales gone wrong and Ebay wants their money back. Just went through that a few days ago.

Ok, yea the only reason I bothered with that useless, offensive, automated chat was it was very late and I was tired.

I had considered shipping the empty box back, but could not be sure the seller would not do something to prevent a refund. But the option to print the shipping label and do the return disappeared when the chat-bot automatically changed the status to "hold".

I did just finally get someone on the phone. Most of their "help" runs me in endless circles. I had to go through this "Ask eBay to step in and help for buyers" page: https://www.ebay.com/help/buying/returns-refunds/ask-ebay-step-help-buyers?id=4701 the contact us box at the bottom opens that offensive automated chat, but it showed an option to have a representative "call back". Surprisingly that actually worked.

This representative, clearly in an Indian call center, didn't mention anything about a police report, but instead tried to run me in circles about uploading additional pictures of the box, which their site would not let me do because it was already filed and won't let me add or change anything, as far as I could tell. Although I would have been happy to do that. They did eventually agree to issue a refund. Still, this has wasted my time and left a bad taste in my mouth for anything eBeh.

Of course, the worst part is that a possibly unique software package is now sitting in in the trash can of some post office warehouse somewhere.

You can call Ebay but the robo response directs you back to their "Customer Help". About the only way you can talk to a real person is when they will call you back "within 1 minute". This usually has to do with refunds or sales gone wrong and Ebay wants their money back. Just went through that a few days ago.

Your right Agent Orange. They did use Covid as an excuse to terminate thier direct number. So its IMPOSSIBLE to call them. You can only request a call back which they say will be in 1 to 30 minutes but can take 8hours to a couple days.

I sympathize with you all, having experienced the same difficulties with missing or damaged goods and recalcitrant sellers. Currently I have a dispute going with a seller of CR123 batteries and charger; the charger doesn't work. The seller asked for pictures of the charger not working, and when I provided them (such as was possible) they offered a $2 refund.

But I always pay through PayPal, using my credit card, and each of these resources has its own "money-back guarantee". Rarely have I had to go to the credit card company to be reimbursed but I have a triple-layer protection, in a sense.

It is crazy enough dealing with eBay sellers, although some are upright, but expecting the best is like changing fuses in bare feet on a concrete floor.

-CH-

I just came across this news story about the USPS selling all kinds of non-deliverable items:

Here is the direct link from the article to GovDeals:

I wonder how much computing stuff is in there?

There very well could be a copy of "Microstuf InfoScope" on 5.25" disks sitting in one of those bins.

The article makes it sound like there's some USPS lost and found you can call? Weird.

Back