• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Beeeep Bee-Beep

jharre

Experienced Member
My recently received 5150 with the big 'B' stamped on the back came with a CGA card. It was fun at first, but the ol' eyes flashed back to the mid-80's and protested that viewing text on a CGA display (even if it IS an IBM) is still cruel and unusual punishment.

So, I picked up a WD Paradise PVGA1A 8-bit ISA VGA card and the eyes are lovin' it! But, now the ears are complaining because of the one long and two short beeps emitted on a cold boot. It doesn't seem to matter what position SW1 switches 5 and 6 are in, it still complains about the video card.

Is there a way to configure this thing to boot more quietly? I mean, without pulling the plug on the internal speaker. :sarcasm:

Hmm, one long and two short = monitor adaptor, and/or monitor cable, and/or wrong display. VGA wants 5 and 6 both on, which it sounds like you've tried. Do you have another adaptor to try?

If you have those rocker switches like my 5160 make absolutely sure they are toggled.

I had the exact same issue and it turned out I had not actually flipped the switch, merely moved it.

If you have those rocker switches like my 5160 make absolutely sure they are toggled.

I had the exact same issue and it turned out I had not actually flipped the switch, merely moved it.

Ahhh! That was it. It looked like 6 was on, but a firm press with a toothpick resulted in a click - and no beeps on boot.

Thanks, Ole Juul and lutiana, sometimes it is the simple basic stuff that trips us up.

<*> JIm

Ahhh! That was it. It looked like 6 was on, but a firm press with a toothpick resulted in a click - and no beeps on boot.

Thanks, Ole Juul and lutiana, sometimes it is the simple basic stuff that trips us up.

<*> JIm

No worries man. Like I said the exact same thing happened to me, it was VERY frustrating as I had checked and re-checked the switches.

Back