• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Behold: The Greasebox! (self-contained Greaseweazle drive enclosure)

oktology

Experienced Member
I found an Epson SD-880 dual 3.5/5.25 drive, and decided to put together an enclosure to hold it and the Greaseweazle in a neat package. GW board is mounted to the drive chassis with double-sided tape, insulated with a strip of Gorilla Tape (thick duct tape).

I'm a CAD designer and CNC machinist, so I milled out holes for the USB port and Mini-DIN power input that mates to a power supply from an old Iomega external CD-RW drive. Pretty happy with how neatly those turned out, milling thin sheet metal doesn't always go well.

The enclosure I bought (only one left for sale as of this writing) was originally intended as an external floppy enclosure and already had the panel hole and connector mounted, so I kept that functionality by wiring the DC37 into the floppy bus—obviously GW will have to be powered off for this to work. Some external floppy drives for the IBM PC were powered though the DC37, so I crimped a short strip of ribbon cable onto those pins in case I ever decide to go that route. I didn't wire it in, because I don't have a machine/controller that provides power on those pins, but I figured what the heck.

The floppy drive needs both 12V and 5V, or I would have just used the power header on the GW board and made the whole thing bus powered; being USB powered, the GW doesn't provide 12V on the header.

If anyone wants to build a similar thing into a case that needs additional connector knockouts on the rear panel like this one did, shoot me a DM and we can work something out.

(I realized I didn't take any pictures of the whole box assembled, but I think the real interest is in the internal layout. Imagine an Epson SD-880 in a featureless beige box 😅)

Attachments

• IMG_7814.jpeg
    IMG_7814.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 36
  • IMG_7815 (1).jpeg
    IMG_7815 (1).jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 35
  • IMG_7817 (1).jpeg
    IMG_7817 (1).jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 35
  • IMG_7818 (1).jpeg
    IMG_7818 (1).jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_7820 (1).jpeg
    IMG_7820 (1).jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_7823 (1).jpeg
    IMG_7823 (1).jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 35
Very cool, I plan to do a similar thing but haven't found the matching enclosure yet. I'll probably go for one of those full height tape drive boxes and use two separate drives because I don't any good luck with those combo drives.

I used an old IBM PS/2 CD-ROM enclosure to do mine a while back. I used an Epson SD-880, too. Great compact dual drive for it.

I used an old IBM PS/2 CD-ROM enclosure to do mine a while back. I used an Epson SD-880, too. Great compact dual drive for it.
Nice, I bet that looks slick.
I like the versatility of being able to read every 3.5” and 5.25” floppy format in that little space. If I encounter a 5.25 that’s damaged enough that I need a full-width 40-track head, I can plug it into the DC37 in the back.

I used an old scsi enclosure for mine. All the scsi stuff still in there, so easy to convert back for the next guy. It had some knockouts in the back for audio connectors (I assume), so I just punched one of those out and hot glued the 'weazle in there.

20231109_170919.jpg

Here is mine. I went with an old SCSI enclosure too.

DSC00266.JPG

DSC00270.JPG
DSC00277.JPG

Attachments

• DSC00268.JPG
    DSC00268.JPG
    7.9 MB · Views: 1
I found a "standalone DVD duplicator" unit which had 5x5.25 bays and an AT-style PSU. I stuffed the Greasweazle in and cabled up two floppy drives (360k and 1.2M), then added a LS-120 on a PATA-USB adaptor and put two of the original optical drives on SATA-USB adaptors. The whole lot is tied to a hub, so it all connects with a single cable. It's frustratingly loud though.

Back