• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Best E-Mail client for Windows 3.1 on a 386

Hello again,

I have a question as to what the best E-Mail client is for Windows 3.1 (not WFW 3.11). I've read online that AOL is a good choice, but I'm asking for your recommendation.
Also, does anybody have the system requirements for AOL 3.0 (16-Bit)?

Note: This is just a novelty project and is just for fun. So, I'm just asking for recommendations.

Where I got this idea from:
https://www.computing.net/answers/windows-31/email-clients-on-311/12284.html

Of all the ones that I used to use in those days, I'd probably have to cast my vote for Pegasus. Eudora was good as well, just (AFAIR) had an odd layout to it. Your biggest problem is going to get any of them to work with a current mail server.

To get around the issue of modern authentication, you can use a little Linux box (RPi should be fine) to serve as a mailserver. Basically fetchmail from whatever you're using for email and using postfix/Dovecot, use it as a server. You don't even need to run the server with a keyboard/monitor. SSH connection will be fine. Lots on the web for this. The server can then use POP3 with very simple one-password authentication for its clients.

Here's a tutorial I ran into last year, that explains how to get into gmail on win 3.11 with Netscape... Should work on 3.1 with win32s.

Back