• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Big announcement

Didn't my statement 'non-profit entity in general' indicate to you that I wasn't singling out any organization in particular but rather just questioning the nature of the beast as a whole with regard to past experiences?

I took it as, "I have concerns about the non-profit entity in general [assumed VCF] outside of this specific transaction." My mistake.

Fact still stands that this is now a 501c.3 and therefore the need for speculation on what the money is being spent on has been removed. Skepticism is healthy and beneficial for a self-governing society. Conjecture when plain facts are available, or will be available, is often not.

Evan, are VCF's records posted/going to be posted anywhere publicly? I know it's not a requirement for 501c.3 but I've also seen quite a few that do it.

Yes.

Corey986 is our biz manager. He can explain the details.

Yes.

Corey986 is our biz manager. He can explain the details.

Cool, sort of figured that would be the case -- I can't see either of you thinking that more transparency could be a *bad* thing for the group!

Transparency is never bad!

My biggest beef is with organizations that enlist professional fund raisers to do their bidding for them. Do you know what the split is with a fund raiser that sells tickets to an all inclusive charity event? It's 85% - 15%. That's 85% for the fund raiser and 15% for the charity. That means 85% of what you donate to that type of fund raising event goes elsewhere. And, that's pretty standard. I realize there's a cost for doing business but when it comes to a charity 15% is just unacceptable to me. So, next time you're solicited by a fund raiser ask how much of your donation (after all expenses, etc.) the charity actually gets. They'll tell you.

Indeed, that's part of the research Amy did into her PhD. If you're not donating directly to the organization of your choice, only the middlemen are winning.

Which is why I always ask when I get a call. It's unfortunate but in recent memory I have never gotten a call from a bona fide organization member -- only professional fundraisers.

I think it's great vcfed is doing this. I'm not sure about that Apple II -- the high serial number ones have been fetching decent bucks lately for some reason (collectors filling in gaps?). But I wouldn't pay $1000 for one, even with Woz's signature (Woz pretty much signs anything for a small fee doesn't he?). The Sol on the other hand...

It's true that you can buy his autograph, but that is not what we did. Steve has always been a supporter of the Vintage Computer Festival and such. He signed this as a favor to us. (You can read his opinion of VCF here: http://vcfed.org/wp/sound-bytes/.)

Back