• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Bio-feedback program ?

Micom 2000

Veteran Member
In the mid-90s I went to a large computer show at the CNE in Toronto. There were a lot of amazing developments exhibited.

One of the exhibits was a program in which you placed your hand in a receptor and guided a skier down a slope. Seemingly avoiding the hazards of the slope by your mind. Continuing practice made you more proficient. I was amazed by it's possibilities but never followed up on how it worked.

I imagine it was a combination of blood pressure and miniscule muscle contractions which determined the avatars actions.

Does anyone know about this and it's developments since then, or even a source for the company who made it ?

Lawrence

Now we'll see if the new "upgrade" accepts this. No time-out since I prewrote it and will paste it.

L.
It did make a login request but then placed me on a post new thread page.
L

Edit: Hey it worked. More or less.

Probably not the same program at all, but I do have an Apple clone with a biofeedback program; don't remember what you controlled on screen but I don't think it was a skier. Just skin resistance I think.

Nice to see you're still around; happy 2010 and beyond!

mike

Same to you Mike.

It was an avatar of a skier going downhill, and you'd have obstructions ahead and your reactions would avoid the crash or not. You likely went to the same show. It was the year when simulated reality with the helmet was the big thing. Crowds gathered around the space where the helmetted volunteers shot aliens around them up to no good. This program's line-ups weren't as long as that one. I'm not a gamer, but I played it until I was asked to give it up. I can't see skin resistance alone being the governing factor. You actually guided the skier to the bottom of the hill or else crashed into the many obstacles in your path, going left or right as required. No Joystick or mouse involved, only your hand in ba sort of a glove. For a time there, with programs like that or those which involved voice commands, etc, the future computer vista was immense. I always considered this one the most promising. But I see no replay of anything like it. Was it taken over by the military or something ? You responded to the stress of an oncoming crash and controlled the avators resonse. Left or right around the obstacle. It did demand concentration tho. It amazed me, but was too expensive for my limited funds.

At the same show I bought Broderbunds Sidekick 97 at a sell-off price of $5. I enjoyed that version, which was sold off and became inopperable, like Lotus Notebook, at the turn of the century. With all the sloppy code-bloat going on, only a couple of digits would have made all the difference.

Lawrence

Last edited:
Back