• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Brand New 5150 on ebay

Mine also came with the original box with a UPS label on it. I wasn't too happy about that. But my mood improved when I dawned some gloves and opened the box. I'm not sure what I'll do with this unit. Likely just keep it on a shelf for now as I'm building up a small collection of new-in-box. And I already have a clean very early 0-16KB 5150 w/ expansion I plan on turning into a demo unit.

How do I identify which type of drive is mounted w/o powering it on? Here is a photo of the top of the drive logic board.

5150_floppy.jpg

Mine also came with the original box with a UPS label on it. I wasn't too happy about that. But my mood improved when I dawned some gloves and opened the box. I'm not sure what I'll do with this unit. Likely just keep it on a shelf for now as I'm building up a small collection of new-in-box. And I already have a clean very early 0-16KB 5150 w/ expansion I plan on turning into a demo unit.

How do I identify which type of drive is mounted w/o powering it on? Here is a photo of the top of the drive logic board.

View attachment 35935
I think those black connectors toward the front of the drive (marked 9) are for the head(s). I only see one on yours so perhaps it's single sided?

looks like a single sided drive to me, bottom left black connector only one of them.

I agree. Double sided drives have two connectors at the bottom left.

Also, I formatted a disk with my machine and it yielded 180KB.

I just paid $7 to have it double boxed and 2 hours later the seller responds and says yes he did double box it and shrinkwrap it LOL

Oh well its not tripple boxed and shrinkwrapped. will have in in the UK later in the week :)

There is also the eBay seller "shopofc" who has sold at least a dozen or so new in box IBM AT 5170 systems for $500. I wonder were all of those came from.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/322397251049

I just bought one of these are it should be arriving on Tuesday. I'm so excited as my first computer was an IBM 5170.

I asked the seller about the stock he had and this was his response:

All the computers in storage are still sealed and unopened. We normally open the system unit and configure and setup as we would have done 30 years ago but have had requests for them untouched and sealed so began offering them that way. We used to be an IBM Reseller and purchased a quantity of IBM ATs when IBM was surplusing the last production batch in 1990. The 386 and 486 class computers became popular much quicker than expected and the ATs never sold out.

Back