• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Brand New 5150 on ebay

I already have a very early 16-64K 5150 in almost new condition. But it's nice to have things in original condition. :) I don't regret buy-now. (which I do more often than not)

... but its another $200 to get it to me.

$200 isn't that much. Give it a few years and it will be even less. If you want it, you should buy it. I say this as a man who constantly encourages the wife not to spend excessive amounts of money on Chinese crap.

But they're not making these any more. When do you next expect to find an NIB 5050? Heck, I'm tempted and I have a stack of used ones!

From where he knows that there is single side 160kb floppy drive? It is very unlikely for B model.

From where he knows that there is single side 160kb floppy drive? It is very unlikely for B model.

I think you right. I remember reading somewhere on this forum, that all the 160kb drives didn't have the IBM logo on them.

I think it's expensive for a model B, but I don't really get the appeal of boxed stuff. I much prefer finding something that's a bit grubby, and repairing it. Is sealed-box better than just boxed in general? As an ideal container to keep the 5150 safe it's great. To me a box is kinda annoying. If the box is worth so much, now you have to worry about keeping the box safe. So you end up have to box the box, and find yourself scratching your head, perplexed, in a philosophical quandary.

I just bought the third one! I couldnt help myself... Maybe I wont get in trouble with the boss if I recoup the money by selling a few of my other IBM machines...

One of the XT's has the 5000026 PROM version which I have read is somewhat rare.

These are the 3 I have seen, who owns what ones:

EEGURU = 0604253

Mine = 0666087 (Incidentally my birthday is 666 as is the last few digits of my telephone number)

MicroCoreLabs = 0604035

I used my EPROM progammer to copy the 5000026 and 5000027 BIOS ROM Images into files. Unfortunately I was unable to upload it because the zipfile is too large.

Received the computer today. Would have been nice if the original box was protected in some way rather than just slapping a shipping label on it...

Otherwise, the computer looks and works great. Its the cleanest 5150 that I have ever owned.

The problem now is what to do with it... Back in the box and into storage untouched? Or upgrade it to 640KB, 360K disk, 10MB HD and actually use and enjoy my purchase???

I wonder what the other buyers will do with their machines?

Received the computer today. Would have been nice if the original box was protected in some way rather than just slapping a shipping label on it...

Otherwise, the computer looks and works great. Its the cleanest 5150 that I have ever owned.

The problem now is what to do with it... Back in the box and into storage untouched? Or upgrade it to 640KB, 360K disk, 10MB HD and actually use and enjoy my purchase???

I wonder what the other buyers will do with their machines?

I asked the seller to double box it but had no reply, it has been received at my reshipping depot, so I sent him another message asking if it had been double boxed but again no reply - I have sent the re shipping company a message to ask them to double box it anyway before it makes its journey across the water.
The shipping cost is $130 from the US to the UK but with no import duty to pay my end. the seller accepted a $300 offer so I managed to get the PC shipped for $430 in total.

I plan to just put a Flash adaptor in it and only to use it on special occasions for demo purposes.

These are such a nice find and must be kept in the box and not gather dust lol

Last edited:

That is lame. Some of the premium buyers are paying for these new in the box systems is for the box itself. I realize it might seem a bit silly, but how much more work would it have been for the seller to wrap some cardboard around the box to give it some minimal protection during shipping?

Back