• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Bring lots of quarters . . .

I've got hundreds of quarters... but they're all pre 1965, 90% silver, so they're worth ~ $4.00 each. :)

attachment.php

attachment.php

P8130793a.jpgQuarters.jpg

Absolutely!

I lost nearly $25 in quarters. I have a coin-op pool table. I had 100 of them to insert in the pool table, which when it got full I'd take the quarters back out to be used again. The key for the coin box got legs about five years ago, and I don't desire to cut into the coin box. (Yes I could pick the lock too if I really had the ambition.)

I lost nearly $25 in quarters. I have a coin-op pool table. I had 100 of them to insert in the pool table, which when it got full I'd take the quarters back out to be used again. The key for the coin box got legs about five years ago, and I don't desire to cut into the coin box. (Yes I could pick the lock too if I really had the ambition.)

You'll find it when you move.. My parents had found the 'hidden rock key' when they moved that was lost when I was a teen. We couldn't remember where we put the rock. :)

I miss vintage arcade machines, lost so much money in them during the 80's.

Anybody ever play Battlezone on the original arcade?

battlezone.jpg

So MAME doesn't do it for you?
Not me. Just like I have zero interest in all these miniaturised console systems with the thousand inbuilt games. Most of the experience is the original hardware.

I don't recall ever seeing that game though. Yes, Donkey Kong, and Pac-Man, Q*Bert, Pole Position, Centipede, Defender, don't even remember them all. What was the one with the frantic bartender throwing Budweisers?

Not me. Just like I have zero interest in all these miniaturised console systems with the thousand inbuilt games. Most of the experience is the original hardware.

I don't recall ever seeing that game though. Yes, Donkey Kong, and Pac-Man, Q*Bert, Pole Position, Centipede, Defender, don't even remember them all. What was the one with the frantic bartender throwing Budweisers?

That's actually a myth I'm told. About 100 games come preloaded. Perhaps 9,999 roms can be downloaded ...

I miss my PSP. I just loved the thing. I only had 1 game, Iron Man. Those chinese consoles may look li,e the psp, vita, but they have nes,snes maybe, and game boy roms.

Having tomstand for hours (if you're good) as opposed to sitting at your laptop? I'll take the latter. Haven't messed with MAME in ages though. I hear it's a pain to get running these days.

Or a month after I sell the table..

It'll be under the table legs or something and 'fall' as it's being carried out. :)

Agreed. That said, I would like to put a retropie in old hardware that can't be repaired. For instance, I have a c64 with a destroyed motherboard that I'm planning to put a Pi and Keyrah into and turn into a retro computer console at some point. I also would like to put a 'gaming' retropie into an Atari flashback i picked up (that i do plan to destroy..only got it cheap because I wanted the controllers that came with it). That said, I never really was into the post 2600, pre PS/Xbox gaming consoles so that project will likely never get done. My only retro gaming goals are to finally complete the Infocom and Ultima series of games.

What was the one with the frantic bartender throwing Budweisers?

Tapper, and later the Politically Correct kids version, Rootbeer Tapper.

So MAME doesn't do it for you?

Did you look at the picture of the game? You step up on a platform and put your head into the viewfinder while controlling the game view 2 joysticks with a fire button. Can't recreate that with a EMU. If you never played the original you would probably not like the game much. Can't play any of the old light gun games on an EMU either. There are plenty of old arcade games where the gameplay sucks without the correct controller. You need a good rollerball to play centipede for example, and that spinning controller for Tempest.

And a true 16-way disc with keypad and action buttons to play Intellivision games. Gamepads just don't cut it.

Don't get me started about touchy home console system controllers. Colecovision had its own funky controller, so did the Atari 5200. I purchased Ataris trackball (well worth it since it works on their computers as well as consoles) for trackball games. For the Dreamcast I got the lightgun, arcade stick, keyboard and mouse. Have a bunch of controllers for the Playstation 1 as well.

I purchased a game called Deadlight Directors cut from GOG a while back and installed it. Well it is a scroller and you need a gamepad to really play it. So I ordered a XBOX 360 knockoff controller from ebay and after fixing a stuck red button I got the game going. Every single god dam button has a function on this game and I am getting too old to remember them all.

Back in the day when games used a dozen keyboard commands I just used a Quickshot Masterpilot (google it) that had a bunch of buttons and a huge card that you inserted in the middle with labels for each game. I even purchased the extra programmable ROM to add newer games as needed.

Yes.. the more hardware the better. I remember losing interest in pinball games when they replaced the mechanical score indicators with LEDs. Something disappeared for me and I never got the interest back.

Back