• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Brushing up on PAL code

Well, I tried $BOOTSTRAP and it worked, but...... now I'm told there is NO CCL. Good thing I have a back up and can start over AND it works as it did prior to my 1st attempt at BOOTSTRAP.
I was not intending to boot from floppy, but from the RKA0. I think I have to stop, start over and find out what actually makes a bootable drive and how to specify one. Maybe I'll just try without the RX02 devices and see if I can get the RK05's working first. Take some smaller steps first. Thanks for the help, Mike

>>> BUILD is so dangerous that it doesn't do anything until you explicitly tell it to. What I mean by dangerous is that you can easily and accidently make your boot device non bootable.

Along with great power comes great responsibility...

Glad you have a working backup this time though!

Dave

Do I need a RX02 Device Handler? In fact I found that there were system and non system versions.
Yes the system and non system drivers are different. But I was quite happy with that. I've edited the non system versions to let them show up the disks as RXA2 and RXA3 at address 76.

In this way I can use a primary floppy controller at 75 with a RX0x emulator for RXA0 and RXA1. Then a second controller can be used for a real drive on RXA2 and RXA3. In that way you can use diskettes only for data and save your drive a bit. The emulator is just built into the PDP8/m so I can take the machine with me to a meeting without carrying a RX0x drive too to the meeting...

Regards, Roland

Well..... after a few days of horsing around and bunch of help from Dave2. I have succeeded in sync'ing my BUILD and RESORC listings. Although there does not seem to be a one for one correspondence between the two, I can see that they are similar. I did lose the RX02 device handlers in the process. In the past when I needed a PDP8 device handler, I searched the internet and after some time I generally found what I needed. There must be a 'boat load' of device handler code out there. I was wondering whether or not there was a more or less complete listing of this code anywhere, such as on Bit Savers.org? There is a LOT of stuff listed, but to my uneducated eye, I do not know what it is. Thanks, Mike

There must be a 'boat load' of device handler code out there. I was wondering whether or not there was a more or less complete listing of this code anywhere, such as on Bit Savers.org? There is a LOT of stuff listed, but to my uneducated eye, I do not know what it is.
I have several different floppy handler versions in source form. One of the better places to look online for these is probably the ibiblio stuff:

Hope that helps.

Vince

Back