• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

BSD 4.3 source

Ole Juul

Veteran Member
This might be of interest to someone here. 10" Scotch 777 9 track tape, 6250 CPI, tar format. From the FreeBSD forum:

From my college days I have a reel tape with the 4.3 BSD Tahoe sources, circa 1989. 74 MB of old-school entertainment. Great for the VAX 750 you have heating your basement. Yours for the cost of shipping, send me a PM.

You can fine the post here if you want to respond.

Interesting. It appears that the only copy of 4.3 BSD Tahoe sources out there is broken (the tape copy cut short a couple of tar files). So this is a tape I would like to take a look at. I have a functioning tape drive. But I'm on the wrong continent.

-Tor

Hi All;
I have a friend who could read the Tape, and put the files out there for everyone, Or Maybe Al could get the Tape and Do the Same..
THANK YOU Marty

Interesting. It appears that the only copy of 4.3 BSD Tahoe sources out there is broken (the tape copy cut short a couple of tar files).
-Tor

The ones on the BSD source CD?

Curiously, someone just handed me a 4.3 Reno tape on Friday.

Interesting. It appears that the only copy of 4.3 BSD Tahoe sources out there is broken (the tape copy cut short a couple of tar files). So this is a tape I would like to take a look at. I have a functioning tape drive. But I'm on the wrong continent.

-Tor
Perhaps you know the guy, but I don't. So I'm assuming he's in Europe somewhere. Did you find out yet?

Why am I such a sucker for these stories of lost data resurrected?

I've little interest in VAX, only some historical interest in UNIX - with a passing fancy for BSD, and yet... I find it exceedingly difficult to resist making this contact to rescue this tape? :confused1:

Will someone please tell me the technical name is for this pathological condition?? :wallbang:

My head is sore from banging it on this wall my entire life. (Champollion, decypherer of the Rosetta Stone - is my hero)

Last edited:
Hi All;
RSX11M, I don'r know what it is called.. But, If You get the Tape and have the means to Read it.. Then I commend You!!
THANK YOU Marty

Back