• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

BTOS disk - reading 2S/4D floppies

MindWalker

Experienced Member
Hello.

I have a box of 5.25" floppies labeled BTOS B38ST8 "Context manager 3.0.1" (1 disk) and "Standalone Operating System 8.1.2" (87-10-09, 7 disks). I can't really remember where I got these. I tried to read about the BTOS, but didn't really figure it out yet, but judging from the small amount or results and downloadables, I guess this might be something of historical interest.

The disks are labeled 2S/4D, 96TPI, which I believe means quad density? I have a Greaseweazle and a high-density (1.2MB) 5.25" drive, can I use that to dump the disks in any reasonable effect, or would that need a quad density drive (which I belive to be rare)?

Attachments

• 20240503_165344.jpg
    20240503_165344.jpg
    410.8 KB · Views: 4
I've handled BTOS floppies before. My recollection is that they're pretty unremarkable. A 1.2MB drive attached to a regular PC running IMD can read them, as can the greaseweazle. Just be aware that the data rate is the same as 360K floppies--on a 1.2MB drive, that would be 300Kbps.

Hello,

Seems to be quite a bit of info about this on the web, but you might need to search re the original system - CTOS - rather that the Burroughs BTOS variant. Uses some sort of message passing system to connect diskless terminals over a RS-432 (?) link. Unisys were a majpr user, and they evidently bought out the original CTOS from Convergent Technologies.

If you wanted to do something with the 'saved' software, I guess you'd need a server of some sort, that might need to be a specific sort of x86 machine?

Sounds interesting though. I saw some brief postings from programmers who'd worked on the system back in the 80's - they seemed to enjoy it.

The BTOS variant may just be CTOS but with some additions specific to Burroughs machines?

Geoff

Back