• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

building an 8-bit ethernet interface card

MattCarp

Experienced Member
I came across this web site some time ago:

www.embeddedethernet.com. They have a pretty cool ethernet module that can be accessed over an 8-bit bus.

It's perfect for experimenting with ethernet on old computers. There are a couple other competing designs out there (which are also based on the Crystal CS8900 ethernet controller), but I've found this particular board to be the most compact and well laid out.

I've tried to purchase a unit from the Norwegian company, but do not get a reply from any of their e-mail addresses. So, I think I'll make my own. Their web site provides full instructions, including parts sources.

The hardest part about making one are the fixed costs for the printed circuit board.

If anyone else is interested and would like to pool resources, I would be willing to place a batch order for multiple printed circuit boards.

The embeddedethernet site includes the design files for the board, which, unfortunately appear to be in a proprietary format for a certain PCB manufacturer (http://www.expresspcb.com).

Anyway, to go this route, expresspcb charges the following for the boards:
$233 + ($0.27 * NumberOfBoards * 2.28 sq inches) + ($0.50 * NumberOfBoards) + Shipping

So, the price per board really comes down if we get multiple boards:

1 - 234
3 - 79
5 - 48
7 - 34
10 - 24

If anyone else is interested, e-mail me at mkath at charter * net and maybe I can get the order off in a few weeks.

-Matt

I edited the original post.

The board software has some trouble parsing URLs sometimes so I usually force the issue with the appropriate tags.

Erik

Back