• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Buildt like a tank?

As to survivability, I think the IBM monitors are indeed tougher than most other monitors of the day. You'll occasionally run across one that looks as bad or worse than the one in the picture, but still works great. Most others won't survive a drop hard enough to smash the case, but the IBMs consistently do.

My first new monochrome PC monitor was made in Taiwan and housed in a metal case. Survive that!

As to survivability, I think the IBM monitors are indeed tougher than most other monitors of the day. You'll occasionally run across one that looks as bad or worse than the one in the picture, but still works great. Most others won't survive a drop hard enough to smash the case, but the IBMs consistently do.

--T

That's a point.

It might have something to do with that there are metal plates around some of the cirquits, and how the yoke is placed on the CRT. A 19" or 21" monitor often got a very big CRT with a longer neck, heavier yoke (due to the size), and lesser glass per %-of-CRT-surface (IIRC).

Aww.

My dad just called me and told that small pieces of glass are comming out of the monitor. That's not good news.

QuantumII? do you know if the CRT in your broken 5153 is all OK?

Back