• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

C-64 Gamepads?

bettablue

Veteran Member
I know the Commodore 64 uses joysticks for use in their games, but I am curious about the Computer’s ability to use gamepads, similar to the earlier Nintendo/Super Nintendo.

In addition to using gamepads, is there another option for controlling gameplay with either joysticks, or gamepads? To be fair, I want to get twin controllers so that either one, or two players can play a game so that neither player has any kind of advantage.

So, if I can use gamepads, joysticks, or other option, Whatcha think?

Thanks much

Chiao

Thomas

With some minor work you can make a Genesis gamepad useable on the C64, and there were some games that had custom peripherals for play that connected through the joystick ports.

But most games just had the one button, so I don't believe the other options ever got much traction. I just use a Wico Boss.

Commodore (on all 8-bits and all Amigas) used standard joysticks like the Atari VCS and a myriad of other machines. Note that the "computer of standards", the IBM PC and its successors did not.

You can very easily modify many controllers to work. The interface is incredibly simple, it's all discrete inputs.

Joysticks for these machines are very common. I'd be surprised if there wasn't a "pad" type controller on the market ready to plug in. But if it were me, I'd get whatever controller I wanted to use and just wire it up for the '64. All you really need is a nine conductor cable with female connector. You can buy extension cables where all you have to do is cut off the male end. Then it's just a matter of disconnecting whatever electronics are in the pad you have and connecting your cable up the right way.

Back